To buy or not... Canon 7d

david_berwitz

<p>Usually 'to good to be true' simply is that.. if you don't have the knowledge to judge this matter none of us can help you sight unseen. Lets hope that Sandy had nothing to do with it was my first thought. Can you afford to gamble?</p>

Keith

Good questions I was a bit vague. I am a hobbyist and shoot family sports vacation .. Doing 2 weeks in Europe this

summer and I have a T1i right now. I was considering the 60d or the 7d I am still a bit old school and love to shoot B&W

and have really taken my time learning my current camera. I guess it's time to move forward so I was looking for a bit of

guidance. I have a lot of friends that are Nikon loyalists but I ha e been with cannon since my film days and am brand

loyal.

<p>I guess for the same price, you can already find a 60D with warranty, new. So, it boils down then to the 7D representing enough added value for you. With the info so far, it's really impossible to answer.<br>

First thing to ask yourself: in which way do you feel you have outgrown your current camera? What are the things that annoy you the most, or that you feel should work better? Which problem do you want to solve with a new camera? How do you feel about carrying around a larger heavier camera?<br>

For the normal family / sports/ vacation, all these cameras can deliver quite well; each model line brings its own specific advantages and disadvantages (in terms of capabilities, weight, size, features). You really have to think for yourself a bit more specific which features are particularly important to you. To me (but I'm no Canon expert), the price for the 7D sounds quite good, and believable enough also. But whether that means that the 7D is the camera that serves you best is a whole different point, of course. Can you go and have a look, and try the 7D a bit to see how at least its size, weight feel to you, and whether it looks in good shape?</p>

<p>As for the tripod and 50mm included... for this price, I expect the tripod to be quite rubbish, and the 50mm is probably the f/1.8, which is not an expensive lens. So, both are not tremendous added value, probably, but I'd check with the seller to get more info on those items too.</p>

<p>Ah brand loyalty - a dangerous thing! I've just bailed out of Nikon and into m4/3 after 15 years of shooting Nikon film and DSLRs. You have to ask yourself what your current camera does not do and what the 7D / 60D would do or do better. Don't be deceived by the megapixel myth, but do think about high ISO performance (if you need it) and dynamic range. </p>

<p>Europe in the summer may or may not be dry. Is weather sealing important to you? For vacationing, lightness may be an issue. And how about lenses. Would the money be better spent on lenses? The T1i seems perfectly capable (for a Canon (;-)) so it seems to me that lenses might be the first thing to think about.</p>