which protective filter to buy

reuben demanuele

<blockquote>

<p>Dear Shun, <br />You are correct in stating that the filter I was using was a cheap one. It was...<br />I have no doubt that i would not be able to isolate the effect of a filter on a "normal" image...but there have been too many instances where I have isolated image degradation because of a good quality filter since I got my D800</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Again, unless you shoot directly into a light source such as the sun, you should not be able to see any image degradation with a high-quality filter protection. If you do observe degradation, by my definition, that is not a high-quality filter.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Modern lens caps are a very tough plastic that could almost withstand a direct hit from a small caliber bullet. That's what I use for protection!</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Kent, you either have lens protection 100% of the time when you are out in the field under unfriendly conditions or you have no protection. Lens caps do provide very good protection, but unfrotunately you cannot take pictures with a lens cap on, at least not very effectively.</p>

<p>It reminds me that a married couple friends of ours got pregnant "unexpectedly" years ago. They were young and didn't want a baby yet. We asked them whether they used contraception, and their answer was that they did "most of the time."</p>