Think Tank Retrospective 7

prabhu_v

<p>I have a Nikon D600, just ordered my 16-35 lens, and plan to eventually have the 24-70 and the 70-200 f2.8. I was looking for a good bag that i can use to store these as well as something that's small enough for travel. It would be nice to have all three lenses (plus a flash) in the bag, but I can do with one camera and 2 lenses if that would mean a lighter bag for carrying around. I'd probably never need to take more than 2 lenses out anyway.<br>

I have 2 bags in mind, though leaning towards the Think Tank:<br>

Domke F6<br /><br /><a href="http://www.amazon.com/Domke-F-6-Little-Smaller-Black/dp/B00009R89T">http://www.amazon.com/Domke-F-6-Little-Smaller-Black/dp/B00009R89T</a></p>

<p>Think Tank Retrospective 7<br>

<a href="http://www.thinktankphoto.com/products/retrospective-7-blueslate.aspx">http://www.thinktankphoto.com/products/retrospective-7-blueslate.aspx</a></p>

<p>What do you think about these bags? Do I need to get something larger?</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I would strongly recommend a small backpack in preference to a messenger bag like the Retrospective 7. The Thinktank Airport bags are well-made and highly efficient with respect to space. The smallest one, Airport Essential, would probably work for you. The Domke is a satchel style bag, also shoulder carried. Beware of any shoulder bag weighing more than 15#, unless you only use it to get from your car to a location.</p>

<p>Thinktank Airport backpacks are rectangular, with relatively stiff sides which hold their shape well, and lighter than corresponding LowePro bags. You can carry them by one strap or two, and there are three handles, top, side and bottom, for hoisting into a car or overhead compartment. Unlike a shoulder or messenger bag, all your gear is available in one layer. You have to set it down, but you have to set a heavy shoulder bag down too, unless what you need is right on top. If you travel by train or bus, a backpack is ideal. It's hard to board with a swinging bag, and even harder to negotiate narrow aisles.</p>

<p>I have the mid-sized Airport bag, the Commuter, which I use for an Hasselblad system - body and 8 lenses. I used it on a job last night which required me to climb three flights of steps with a tripod and 35# of backpack. A shoulder bag would have made that difficult with half the weight. I have an older "Addicted" bag, which is huge. I carried that around China with a pro video camera, sound gear, Nikon D2x and two lenses, totaling over 50#.</p>

<p>I have a Retro 7 and its by far my favorite shoulder bag. It works great with a camera plus an extra lens or 2. It will not be a good choice for a 70-200 2.8 mounted. If you plan to use that lens you may want the Retro 20.</p>

<p>I'm going through the search for a new bag myself. For comparison purposes, I have the Domke F2, their original bag, which the web site says can hold two bodies and six to 10 lenses plus a flash and accesory. That description is optimistic to say the least. I have a Nikon D200 and a D7000 with grip, plus three lenses -- 12-24, 24-70 and 70-200 -- in my F2 plus a couple of flashes and a Lumedyne battery and it's absolutely bursting at the seams. Granted I'm adding one more flash and a large battery but I'm only carrying three lenses rather than 6-10.<br />So, I would say that for what you're proposing, the F6 "little smaller" is likely to translate into "whole lot smaller." The F2 bag might work well for you if you're only going to use one body, three lenses and a flash. <br />I do like the F2 bag unto itself. It's the second one I've had, and when I carried a Nikon F2, Nikon FM, four prime lenses and a Vivitar 283 plus film it was just fine. But digital bodies with grips are equal in size to an F2 body with motor and battery pack, and zoom lenses are both longer and fatter than my old primes. <br />I'm looking at the LowePro and maybe ThinkTank models that look like a backpack with wheels. I have two photographer friends who needed back surgery from carrying 30 pounds of gear all day all their lives, so I definitely want wheels. These bags aren't as convenient for working out of over your shoulder like the Domke F2, but are much easier on the back. Unlike my newspaper days, most of what I shoot now I can sit the bag in a corner, pull out what I need and not have to carry the bag around.</p>

<p>I'm going through the search for a new bag myself. For comparison purposes, I have the Domke F2, their original bag, which the web site says can hold two bodies and six to 10 lenses plus a flash and accesory. That description is optimistic to say the least. I have a Nikon D200 and a D7000 with grip, plus three lenses -- 12-24, 24-70 and 70-200 -- in my F2 plus a couple of flashes and a Lumedyne battery and it's absolutely bursting at the seams. Granted I'm adding one more flash and a large battery but I'm only carrying three lenses rather than 6-10.<br />So, I would say that for what you're proposing, the F6 "little smaller" is likely to translate into "whole lot smaller." The F2 bag might work well for you if you're only going to use one body, three lenses and a flash. <br />I do like the F2 bag unto itself. It's the second one I've had, and when I carried a Nikon F2, Nikon FM, four prime lenses and a Vivitar 283 plus film it was just fine. But digital bodies with grips are equal in size to an F2 body with motor and battery pack, and zoom lenses are both longer and fatter than my old primes. <br />I'm looking at the LowePro and maybe ThinkTank models that look like a backpack with wheels. I have two photographer friends who needed back surgery from carrying 30 pounds of gear all day all their lives, so I definitely want wheels. These bags aren't as convenient for working out of over your shoulder like the Domke F2, but are much easier on the back. Unlike my newspaper days, most of what I shoot now I can sit the bag in a corner, pull out what I need and not have to carry the bag around.</p>