Problem with Canon 50mm 1.4

jenkins

<p>This isn't my lens but my Brothers who is a Canon shooter. What is happening is that the lens is making a clicking sound when trying to auto focus, when it does this it won't focus at all. It is working intermittently and then reverts back to the click sound again.</p>

<p>Other lenses are working fine, it's just this one. Am I right in thinking that the built in motor might be on it's way out? Would it be worth getting repaired? I am pretty sure it is the USM version.</p>

<p>Thanks</p>

<p>Failed AF is a common failure on this particular model lens. There are some weak/ understrength AF components, and when particular points become worn (and sometimes before then!) the AF can become jammed, as well, the 'motor' fails.<br>

In<em> one</em> of my failed copies of the lens, clicking sounds preceeded the complete failure (and seizure) of the AF system. But the others did not. If the lens is still under warranty, then I would definetly send it in, and it is <em>possible</em> that Canon will be able to hand you back a functional and reliable lens. I just wouldn't expect it. IME it is as likely to fail the day after it gets back from them as it is to fail at any other point (that first one failed completely a few months after it got back from a repair of the AF). I've owned three copies of this lens, and all three have had complete or intermittent failures of the AF. Some people have good luck w/ it, I am not one of them. </p>

<p>Thanks Marcus I thought that was the problem, it's a real shame as I took some really nice pictures with it when it was working that is, I am almost certain that the lens is out of warranty as he has had it a good while and I am guessing it isn't worth getting repaired then?</p>

<p>I'd at least get an estimate. I had to have the AF repaired on an EF 35mm f/2 lens. While it was not cheap, it was considerably less than getting another one.<br>

Of course, you could always step down to a f/1.8 version for much less. Despite their cheap look, they seem to be very reliable. :|</p>

<p>IMPE, the 50/1.8 is far <em>more</em> reliable - though my experience may be atypical ;-). As JDM says, it <em>may</em> be worth it, and if you pack it up to send it in to Canon for an estimate, all it'll cost you is the shipping (less if within driving range). When my current copy fails for good (it's already failed intermittently a few times), I'll replace it w/ a Sigma 50/1.4 HSM (and keep the 50/1.8 as a backup ;-) ) - as it came out about a month after I picked up my most recent copy of the EF50/1.4.<br>

The caveat I alluded to is that even a well executed repair (which they will certainly do for you) does not resolve the underlying design flaw, so while they will certainly be able to execute the repair, whether (or not) it lasts 2mo, 2 yrs, or 20yrs is completely unknown, I'm pretty sure the warranty for the repair is 3mo (but I may be wrong). </p>

<p>AF - and other things - can fail in any lens, so you may have to have it repaired or else simply replace it. If possible, try the lens on another camera just to make sure it is the lens - though it almost certainly is. </p>

<p>Given the typical costs of repair by Canon, it may well make more sense just to get another 50mm f/1.4. This is a ubiquitous lens, so you might well be able to pick up a used copy at a low price.</p>

<p>Dan</p>

<p>Thanks for the input all, it is the lens G Dan as everything else works perfectly and as I said it does work for a bit and then makes the clicking sound, I have sent a link to my brother of this page so it's been very helpful so he can make his mind up from here.<br>

Thanks guys!</p>

<p>Joe I have seen a couple of quotes on the net where Canon charge a flat fee of 100 pounds for the repair as it's such a common fault. Scott I had a look at the DIY repair on Youtube and didn't like the look of it, as this isn't my lens I might have to pass on that, but thanks for the link.</p>