wanted: tripod screw for big chrome leitz ballhead

harry_zet

<p>i got a leica table-tripod with the big chrome leica ballhead as a gift, the ballhead is the latest version leitz made, the one with the black-plastic-knob. problem is: the screw to fit a camera on it is missing. anybody out there who knows where to get one? its 3/8 on one and 1/4 on the other end. (see picture)</p><div>00bCeu-512081684.jpg.842ff595f8a51eaf41e4eec422f77d53.jpg</div>

<p>Harry, is there any chance the screw was removed and stowed in a safe place? Like under the female threaded plug on the other end of the head. There is just room for it and if wrapped in something soft it wouldn't even rattle.<br>

<br />Not a big chance, but you never know. Perhaps the previous owner knew about this hidey hole.</p>

<p>In my copy of Jim Lager's Illustrated guide II, The model with the crossbar below the top is the late-model KGOON. The KGOON is said to have a spring-loaded 3/8" fitting, which you depress to use the 1/4" one. It looks taller than the one in your illustration. None of the shorter ones shown (p.179) have that crossbar. Yours doesn't have a spring-loaded 3/8" thread? </p>

<p>Lots of luck in your search Harry. Here's a photo of my Leitz head to show the screw Harry needs in a little more detail. It's male 1/4" on one end, male 3/8" on the other. There are two milled grooves that engage tabs to keep it from turning.<br>

A clever machinist could easily make one up but that may not be very cost effective if you have to pay going rates. A local shop has a whole Leitz head for $59.</p>

<div>00bDh0-512985584.jpg.df13ab96a726c334361ea0ae916569cc.jpg</div>

<p>harry, I suggest an alternative: find an ordinary hex head 3/8" screw, saw off the hex head, insert it into the socket of you ball head with missing double mail screw. Now you have a 3/8 ball head,than get a 3/8 female to 1/4 male screw adapter to convert it into a 1/4 ball head. Pad the gap with wafer, glue with crazy glue. It seems to me, buy another gall head is simpler.</p>