Business Name problem

nichols

<p>I have a pretty common name: Chris Nichols. So much so, that in the city I live in there are a couple different people that are photographers with that exact name. This has created a bit of confusion for customers. I was wondering if I should think about changing my name to something other than my name. It is also impossible to get a .com. Anyone else have this issue? Not sure what I should do.<br>

Thanks!<br>

Chris</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I was wondering if I should think about changing my name to something other than my name.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Presume you mean change your <em>company</em> name to something other than your personal name. This isn't unusual, as it also makes it easier down the road to grow, alter, merge, sell, or other change you business focus and circumstances. But a company name is usually chosen based on how it will play to its intended audience/market. What sort of work do you do? Who are your current and intended customers? Will they feel better with the more intimate you-are-the-business scenario, or might they feel more confident dealing with Chris, they guy who represents Acme Studios?<br /><br /> And these days, you're right - the .COM is vital. You might even shape the entire thing around what you can come up with on a short domain name. Don't forget that we are colliding headlong with video, these days, so domain names that have "photo" or "photography" in them might actually be a little short sighted. Think long term.</p>

<p>if you want to stick with your own name rather than made-up business name,but want to distinguish yourself from other Chris Nichols, one simple solution is to use the full name, assuming Chris is short for something. In other words, let the rest be Chris Nichols and you can bill yourself professional as Christopher Nichols, Christian Nichols, Christine Nichols, Christie Nichols, whichever one is appropriate. Of course some people are still going to call you Chris.</p>

• 2 weeks later...