Hurricane "Sandy's" aftermath

<p>My question is this: should the media, specifically photojournalists, be allowed into NYC parks which are closed so that this historic event can be documented? I entered Pelham Bay Park through the back trails but when I reached the beach was told the public isn't allowed in due to the potential danger from tree damage et al. I fully agree and understand the reasoning but how will this unprecedented historic event be documented for the historic archives if even the media isn't allowed access? When the parks are opened, all we will see are the cut down trees and cleaned up trails.</p>

<p>In Bloomberg's NYC, the answer is no. In actuality a lot of photographers such as myself go to some places that are dangerous to capture images that would otherwise not be taken, but these images are sometimes very interesting. Whatever you do, you do it at your own risk and pay attention to what's around you.</p>

<p>I'm a hobbiest photographer so I will just throw this out there for consideration. It is possible that they (NYC) are trying to circumvent possible lawsuits by not allowing anyone other than their staff to record the damages in certain areas. I don't think anyone is trying to hide the effects of the storm, just trying not to add more collateral damages to what is already there.</p>

<p>I think it comes down to "who you know" -- just walking in "through the back-door" will get you thrown out if caught. We all know if you trespass in areas that are 'closed to the public' in order to 'get the image' it is at our own risk. However, if you should get killed -- your family is not going to care that you went in 'at your own risk' -- they will sue everyone and their uncle to get their just compensation -- and that is what they are concerned about.<br>

I have seen some incredible 'behind the scenes' images taken in the aftermath of 9/11 -- yet I doubt they were taken by photographers trying to get an historic shot. My assumption is they were taken by people who knew someone in charge of the search/rescue and clean-up. That is probably the only way you will get access to areas where risk is involved. Think of it this way -- if someone was to go into an area without some supervision, suppose it was known that there was contaminated water and the photographer was not aware of this and got sick -- probably the last thing he would be thinking about as he lie on the hospital bed was "I knew it was at my own risk". :-)</p>