What Causes This Blowout?

<p>The area between the chrome gravel guard and the door, shaped like a large oven mitten shows it most predominantly.<br>

Actually it is on the entire door. <br>

The defect is not in the original photograph, just the downsized version. I had him send the original "out of the camera" jpg. That jpg looks OK.<br>

So, whatever he is doing to reduce the file size with his MAC computer is invoking the problem.<br>

Any ideas?</p>

<p>Ah... He's downsizing by reducing the image quality, not by (or just by) actually reducing the image size. With lower quality JPG's you'll get those artifacts in areas where there's a tonality gradient- the door, a clear sky, etc.</p>

<p>Yup, just JPG compression artifacts. Trying to make the file too small (in bytes) causes subtle tone changes to disappear into blocks of single hues/tones. Less compression makes for more detail and better tonal gradiations, but larger files. There is no single sweet spot - it's something you sometimes have to fine tune per image, based on the content and just how small you want that file to get.</p>

<p>Looks to me pretty clearly like banding / posterization due to excessive compression. It is a relatively common type of the JPEG compression artifacts that Matt mentions. Actually, it is more common in excessive video compression--on my cable TV, the channels that get less bandwidth often show it, especially in darker areas of the image.</p>

<p>The open-source (free) digital photo editing program GIMP is a great way to experiment with / learn about this. You can save an image as a JPEG with very different compression settings, resulting in quite different final image quality.</p>

<p>I agree, over compression of the file (making the file as small as possible at the expense of sacrificing picture information)<br>

The first photo almost looks like it was compressed to GIF format (only 256 colors)<br>

To prevent this or minimize it, always select save with highest quality as a JPEG in the settings.</p>

Cheers, Mark