Lee Wide Angle Adapter with Hoya Pro-1 D CPL

gregcoad

<p>With the 17-40 on my 1Ds, I get no vignetting with 2 slots on the Lee holder. When I add my Hoya Pro-1 D circular polarizer to the mix, I start to get some pretty dark corners at 17mm that don't go away until 20mm. Its been awhile since I tried, but I think I even get dark corners with the same setup on my 24-70 until I go to 26mm or so (but maybe that was with 3 slots...)</p>

<p>So I am considering picking up the Lee Wide Angle Adapter (most expensive piece of machined aluminum I have ever considered buying....)</p>

<p>My main question is: Will I be able to thread the wide angle adapter onto the CPL and back off again, or will I have a hell of a time because of the recessed thread design (the spinning ring on the front of the CPL looks like it will be inside the WA adapter making it impossible to grip to thread on and off). Are there any tips/tricks/tools that make this feasible?</p>

<p>Also, somewhat unrelated, I am familiar with the wide angle effect in skies with CPL but I would only use this set up at wide angles when the sky wasn't a big part of the frame. However, I have read some posts that say the "correct" order is scene, polarizer, slot filters, lens and that to put the polarizer behind the slot filters is a real problem. I have done it quite frequently and haven't noticed any serious problems with the results but I don't want to run into any in the future either. The price of the 105mm Lee Polarizer is just too steep for me to consider unless it would make some really remarkable difference in the results. Ultimately, I am typically using the polarizer to cut glare off water and I just turn the polarizer until I am happy with the result and fire the shutter. I probably shouldn't be worried about it at all as long as I am happy with the results, but I suppose its just my own hang-ups around "doing it right".</p>

<p> </p>

If I am interpreting your description right your setup would go:

Lens:CPL:adapter:Lee holder.

I went this route and had a very difficult time getting the CPL off.

I ended up getting the 105 mm lee circular polarizer so that the setup is:

Lens:adapter:holder:CPL

This worked with no additinoal vignetting on a 17-35 f/2.8 on 35 mm film body. I feel like I had to do some

minor machining on the holder to achieve this but I can't recall this exactly and I may be wrong.

I just looked up this polarizer - $$$. Wasn't so pricey when I got it.

You could try the 4x4 Lee glass circular polarizer at about half the price but less convenient.

Test