HP 7960 current equivalent

<p>I purchased an HP Photosmart 7960 back in 2003 and have been very satisfied. It is getting old and starting to show some quirks, so I will purchase a new printer to replace it.</p>

<p>What is the current HP printer that would be considered a successor to the 7960? This is a printer only, with exceptional B&W capability and separate inks supplies. Back in 2003 it was considered among the best photo printers you could buy.</p>

<p>I have been very happy with HP printers over the years so would prefer to stay with the brand.</p>

<p>Thanks,<br>

Ross</p>

I've had that printer for probably as long as you have. Still works great for small B&W prints, thought worry about how

much longer HP will pump out those #59 carts.

Forget about anything new that is close to that from HP. The era, nine years ago when the 7960 (and 7850 which is

better) came out represented the pinnacle of HP prosumer printers. It has been downhill since, and mirrors HPs fortunes.

I'd suggest either finding a used one for a pittance, or getting an Epson or Canon. I haven't checked in a while, but they

both make printers with gray carts..

ME

<p>I used to have a 7960 and liked the neutral B&W it had over most other printers. I decided to get a wider format printer. HP had the 8750 as part of the upgrade to the 7960. Unfortunately I was too late as the retail outlet had gotten rid of their stock. Ebay sellers had them for inflated prices.</p>

<p>While looking I found some refurbished 8450 printers. These were a newer version of the 7960. I got one for $70 with a full set of inks and have been using it for over 5 years. They can use a higher capacity Photo B&W ink cartridge. The prints have excellent longevity with the HP papers even though they are a dye based ink set.</p>

<p>I did manage to find a larger format printer from HP. They sent me an email several years ago for a Black Friday sale. They had their B8550 printer for half price. It didn't have a separate B&W ink cartridge but I figured for $150, the ability to make 13" x 19" prints, it was worth the gamble. It does a great job with color. B&W prints have a slight pinkish tint.</p>

<p>I don't see anything on HP's web page that would meet the needs for a good B&W printer. HP did have the B9180 pigment printer but it is no long in stock.</p>

<p>Epson does have the R2880 which looks like it can do it all. Great color and B&W along with great longevity. It is now on sale for $450.</p>

<p>Canon does have a new printer called the Pixma Pro-100. It looks similar to the Epson with the separate B&W cartridge.</p>

<p>The only problems with these printers is coming up with the cash and getting use to the large space that they take.</p>

Two years ago, after burning out on the B9180 like many others have, I ditched it and located the 8750 on eBay in

excellent condition for $50. It still pumps out excellent gallery quality larger prints. Plus a few friends keep throwing their

unopened boxes of 13x19 Premium Plus paper at me as they either move on or outsource their printing.

Not bad at all.

The OP should scan the usual sources as an option.

ME