Nikon P7700 -- What's the Story?

john_n._wall

<p>For the price of the Fuji X-100, I could get a Nikon D7000 and kit lens, these days. I'm not sure the X-100 would win that fight. So, I don't think it is quite fair to compare the Fuji to the Coolpix P7700 either. The price sets the target audience and the FEATURES that Nikon can put in the camera and still make money. If Nikon was silly enough to make a fixed lens, point and shoot that sells for more than many of their DSLRs, I'm sure they could do a good job of matching features with the X-100.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>If you are trying to find the best compact camera for your needs and wallet, why would you be concerned about whether the comparison was fair or not, John W.? I will leave the fair comparison to DP Review. That is part of their job.</p>

<p>I am waiting for Nikon to do just that, John W. - make a fixed lens extraordinary good compact camera. I am just wondering why they haven't thought of that idea before Fujifilm did.</p>

<p>What if the big DSLR's will be gone in a short while? What if no one wants to buy them anymore, in let's say 5 to 10 years from now. IMO Nikon has to start thinking very differently very fast if they are thinking along the same lines as you are, John W.</p>

<p>John, I've been very happy with my Fuji X10 when leaving the Nikon D5000 outfit home. Now that the "orbs" issue has been resolved with a new sensor and prices have slightly dropped, a good deal could be found. A user owning both the P7700 and the X10 makes his comments after experiencing both in the field, here: http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/50372731 You might find it helpful.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>What if the big DSLR's will be gone in a short while?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Ergonomics alone will not let this happen. Have you ever taken a few hundred shots of a model with a camera the size of a phone?</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Ergonomics alone will not let this happen.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Maybe the weight of the DSLR's and the weight of the lenses will?</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Have you ever taken a few hundred shots of a model with a camera the size of a phone?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>No, I am still using my DSLR. Maybe not for long, though. There almost seem to be a photo equipment revolution going on right now. A lOT is happening. Very exiting times. I like what I see.</p>

<p>My ancient Nikon Coolpix 800, that I happily used for many years, had very good ergonomics. But is was bigger than many of the other point and shoots.</p>

<p>Are the compacts today really bad when it comes to ergonomics? I haven't had my hands on any of them yet.</p>

<p>Wow, did this thread go sideways! John what is your DSLR? If you already have a Nikon DSLR and a flash or two, the P7700 would likely be a nice companion on your 'light days'. It's controls are Nikon in design and labeling so the familiarity would be nice. We have a P7100 in the family to compliment a D7000 and a D200. There is also an SB800, SB600 and an SB400 in the mix. It was a logical choice for us (my wife and I) and it takes surprisingly good photos. Enough so that once we used it, I began to see the age and shortcomings of my D200, which prompted the purchase of the D7000. The P7100 is a pretty smart camera with a lot of useful, creative control. The P7700 adds a better lens and a CMOS sensor. Both good things. Nikon also corrected a design flaw in the placement of the front command dial. Seeing the specs, I would have preferred the P7700 but it wasn't out when we purchased. It won't be a great fast-action camera but will be well built and familiar if you are already a Nikon user. If you don't currently use a Nikon DSLR, the advantages diminish a bit.</p>

<p>Good luck on your search.</p>

<p>Tom</p>

<p>Ann, out of the 30 responses in this thread, about half of them are made by you. Maybe you should take a deep breath, step back, and look at the other side of the coin. Many people have now pointed out the fallacy of bringing the X100 into this discussion, which puts you into a (very) vocal minority. This is akin to someone asking about the capability of a consumer-level car like a Toyota Camry, and you barge in here discussing the Lotus Elise. The lens doesn't zoom, it's fully 3 times the price of most cameras in the P7700's class, it DEFINITELY does not lend itself to "pointing and shooting," etc. The X100 is a rewarding camera, but is very much a niche camera. You also keep talking about "fast autofocus,"which is strange. Photo.net must span multiple universes, because here in my parallel dimension, the X100 is not a fast-focusing camera. My dinky Panasonic G2 handily beats it in focusing speed, and it's not exactly a speed demon itself, doesn't even compare to the cheapest DSLR, or the current crop of NEX and micro 4/3 cameras. Although, the image quality is nowhere in the same league, as the X100 is pretty much a D90 sensor with a Fuji fixed lens. If someone is looking for the things that a P7700 provides, then while it does have better image quality, it absolutely does not deliver the same capabilities as the cameras that started this thread. You seem to be trying to justify your recent purchase to yourself, in a thread completely unrelated to the X100.</p>

<p>Of course there is the one that I posted above.<br>

In response to your question I took a shot of a dimly lit corner of a storage room, one with each camera. I kept the iso to 800 to be fair to the p&s. Funny thing is that the vr on the P7700 got a clear shot whereas I blew the D700 shot without vr.<br>

Both shots were at 50mm, iso800. Aperture and shutter speeds were different.</p><div>00b54F-506507684.thumb.jpg.14e39effbbd93f55e2f1f7086c1e2bdd.jpg</div>

<p>Both Nikon and Canon still think there's a market in 2012 for a pricey, underwhelming, teensy sensor p&s. The Sony NEX 5n killed that format with a great 16mp sensor and the ability to use almost any lens 2 years ago. Nikon can't seem to do better than the DOA J1 and V1 and the NEX look-a-like V2--historically, a somewhat unfortunate name:</p>

<p>

• 3 months later...

<p>I bit the bullet and bought the P7700. As far as ISO it is good to 1600 and great at 400-800 in low light. The thing to remember is that the VR gives you a 4 stop advantage. Combined with the fast and very sharp zoom lens... the low light capabilities are very good. The camera handles like a dream,.. good ergonomics/grip, great access to menu items via function buttons and 2 scroll wheels. If you like nikon DSLR controls then you'll like this camera. It's a great camera... there is more to it's performance than meets the eye. Read this assessment: http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3372770<br /> Autofocus is fast enough. It goes from 28-200mm in 2 seconds. You can set the zoom to stop at 35,50,85,105,135,200. Choose any by checking a box in the menu. I bought the helios viewfinder which has view lines at 35,90,135mm. So I designate these lens settings when I'm using the viewfinder. The LCD screen is ultra sharp and the articulating feature is useful. Function buttons are good... I set one for VR and the other for the ND filter. This is a killer camera with its good handling, magnesium body, and Leica M6 feel. Reminds me of my old Leica.<br /> I prefer this to my D300 as i'm getting better photos. The review link is interesting in pointing out the IQ strengths versus Sony RX100 and the Canon....</p>

<p> </p>