Hear any bad excuse?

leslie_cheung

<p>Maybe the wrong thread, but this did bring this subject to my forethought.</p>

<p>Except for the family shots, which, even if they complain about, I keep shooting, I have always been an inanimate object, landscape photographer. I would love to try shooting some street stuff, but as I am kind of thin, wear glasses, and hate confrontation, how do I proceed without getting my glasses/face smashed, kicked in the gonads, or worse, and get some cool shots? Go spend mega bucks on a super telephoto? I love a lot of the work I see on this site, it just makes me wonder if I could pull any of it off. Thoughts?</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Maybe the wrong thread, but this did bring this subject to my forethought.<br>

Except for the family shots, which, even if they complain about, I keep shooting, I have always been an inanimate object, landscape photographer. I would love to try shooting some street stuff, but as I am kind of thin, wear glasses, and hate confrontation, how do I proceed without getting my glasses/face smashed, kicked in the gonads, or worse, and get some cool shots? Go spend mega bucks on a super telephoto? I love a lot of the work I see on this site, it just makes me wonder if I could pull any of it off. Thoughts?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>You can search Photo.net itself for previous discussions on this topic. But far better, in my opinion, would be to do a broad internet search along the lines of "How to do street photography". There's a lot of advice out there. Look at a lot of it, and try to look at the portfolios of the people offering the advice. There are different styles, approaches and opinions. Find out what YOU like to look at, and what YOU would like to photograph. There is no rule book and there is no "right" way, but you will see a commonality of certain opinions (one example: telephotos -- conventional sp wisdom, and I tend to agree with it, is that best practice is to get close with a wide angle in roughly the 20 -50mm range). Street photography does not automatically have to be confrontational. Research the different opinions and go out and try it yourself to see what works for you. You don't have to put pressure on yourself either. You can step out there and just start taking photographs of archictecture and manhole covers if you want. </p>

<p>Craig said:</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I would love to try shooting some street stuff, but as I am kind of thin, wear glasses, and hate confrontation, how do I proceed without getting my glasses/face smashed, kicked in the gonads, or worse, and get some cool shots? Go spend mega bucks on a super telephoto?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Yes, as Steve mentions, there's a lot of excellent advice buried in this forum on the topic. The quick version: leave the super-tele at home--choose a 35mm lens to start (full-frame), or thereabouts (I shoot with a 24mm and an 85mm on an FX body). Here's what I tend to do:<br /> <br /> Act the Part:<br /> Try to act bored, like you're "working." Also, try become extremely comfortable with your gear so you look as "pro" as possible. The more bored you look, the more "official" you look. I work in TV, and with our big cameras and fancy credentials, we can go anywhere, shoot anything, and no one ever questions it (plus, I often look very bored while shooting at work). Shooting by yourself, it's bit harder to pull this off, but you get the idea.<br /> <br /> Own It:<br /> Try to become "part of the scenery," like you <em>belong</em> there. Scout one particular location, and hang around for a while. Observe what's going on for 20 minutes or so. You'll become more relaxed, the longer you stay there. Soon, people don't even seem to notice you.</p>

<p>Confidence, Confidence, Confidence:<br /> I always tell people, "Walk in, like you own the place." The more you wield it, the more people buy into you. When I'm attempting to shoot street (and, I'm by no means an expert at it), most think I'm either paparazzi or shooting for a newspaper.<br /> <br /> Look the Part:<br /> Dress professionally, with some sort of cool factor, but appropriate for the season/venue. Try to <em>look</em> like a pro or creative person. Don't carry bags of gear to be fumbling around with--just a single body and single lens, slung oh-so-casually over your shoulder. Learn to shoot quickly. Frame deliberately. Try to eliminate any indecision or hesitation in your technique.</p>

<p>Talk to Your Subjects:<br /> Some don't subscribe to this practice for "true" street photography, and you may or may not do this with every subject. But the most engaging street portraits I've taken were shot with the subject's permission. It's also a great way to calm your nerves. Once you engage a few willing subjects, your confidence soars, and you're on your way. It's also a great way to meet new people.</p>

<p>Craig:</p>

<p>Hey, you're welcome! I'm just glad someone thought it helpful! Everyone has their own approach, but this is what has worked for me. When I first bought my Nikon D3s, I went out on the streets of L.A. by myself one night, and boy was I nervous! I basically followed the points above, and eventually, I started to relax. When you're relaxed, it seems to put people more at ease.</p>

<p>When I first parked my car, I immediately noticed a pretty girl standing nearby that I wanted to shoot. She seemed bored, with nothing to do, killing time smoking a cigarette while on break from a tattoo parlor a few feet away. I was so nervous, but I balled up my courage and walked right up to her. I stumbled through a few lines, "Hi, I'm a photographer shooting for myself, and I was wondering if you wouldn't mind . . . " Luckily, she was totally game, and I ended up with a great "approved" portrait. It may take a while to develop an approach that feels natural, but it'll come with time. Again, many street purists advocate candids over "approved" portraits--pick your poison, or do a little of both.</p>

<p>A few nights later, I went to the subway to attempt some more street shooting. Two female MTA workers were leaving the platform, and as they approached, one said, in a somewhat threatening voice, "I hope you're not shooting <em>me</em> . . ." I think I either said, "No" (and, certainly, I <em>was</em> shooting them), or nothing. They walked by (my face, still plastered against my D3s' viewfinder) without another word. That's the "worst" confrontation I've encountered so far. Certainly, some won't appreciate a lens pointed in their direction (and, remember, with a wider lens, many often won't even be sure <em>what</em> you're actually shooting), but you may be surprised at how many people <em>don't</em> mind being photographed.</p>

<p>So, give it a try--it's fun, and can be potentially very rewarding, photographically. Good luck!</p>

<p>Back on-topic . . . some of those excuses you linked are really funny, Leslie! Most of my own "excuses" are actually just the truth:</p>

<p>1. "I'm shooting personal work."<br /> 2. "I'm working on my portfolio."<br /> 3. "I'm just shooting some 'artsy' stuff for myself."</p>

<p>Some common retorts:</p>

<p>1. "No, I'm <em>not</em> paparazz!"<br /> 2. "I can totally e-mail you the files!"<br /> 3. "Don't worry, no one will ever see these!"</p>

<p>It's not what you do it, it's how you do it. I knew a press photog who would walk up to strange women and say the most outrageous things and they would smile. Me, they'd kick in the nether region if I said such things to them. And he was no pretty boy. Go figure. He was rude and crude but took the most sensitive photos you can imagine. A woman he worked with hated his guts until he took some available light photos with a (at that time) surprisingly small camera, a 35mm rangefinder. She saw the photos and after that though he was Mr. Wonderful. He said shooting ballet and sports action is pretty much the same thing.</p>

• 1 month later...
<p>I too gain great pleasure from Street Photography and feel the advice above is spot on. I use a 35mm lens but in fact would recommend a 50mm. My 50mm doesn't AF, which makes life difficult, so I tend to use the 35mm and have started to crop more than I'd like, though a 35mm is better providing you can fill the frame- of course that's down to the camera operator.<br />I would suggest you avoid trying to look cool or arty- just wear what you normally wear. As a Westerner shooting in China it is impossible to blend in, so sometimes I deliberately try to look like an inept tourist; someone who is totally unthreatening, bordering on ridiculous. When there is reaction from those on the ground, SMILE and engage, DON'T slink off. I would also suggest that you keep moving, rather than hanging around a particular spot, "hunting". Don't worry about messing up or coming home with only 1 or 2 well-framed pictures from 150. The point is to get used to the sensation and to have no guilt about what you're doing. Hanging around somewhere looking and feeling dodgy is not a good strategy, but if you decide to walk from somewhere to somewhere, shooting whatever presents itself, it looks and feels a lot more natural. Also, if you annoy someone, apologise. I've noted previously that if I take a picture that shows a subject in a particularly bad light, I delete it unless there is a good reason not to. This makes me feel a lot more confident and respectful of my subjects. Be professional and open about what you're doing and listen to your instincts about which places/people to avoid. <br />My favourite shooting galleries are noisy, busy places where you can get closer without anyone noticing you or the shutter noise. Busy cafes also- buy a coffee and choose a table in the corner, pretend to review your pics but actually use the LCD to take shots.<br />Also look ahead and if necessary, prepare your settings for the shot you want to take 100 yards up the road. And be careful about so-called Street Experts on the net- there are a load of evangelists/b.s. artists out there with a pathetically self-righteous attitude who reject any shots not taken in the 'correct' SP style. This forum is a lot more mature than other paces in the net. <br />Good luck!</p>