Printing 32-bit images on an Epson Pro 4800

<p>Howdy,</p>

<p>I'm working with a professional printer who's telling me she can't print 32-bit images on her Epson Pro 4800. These image involve rather subtle tonal shifts and look best--<em>on screen--</em>in 32-bit. I'm guessing the same holds true when printing. So far, the 16-bit versions she's produced fall far short of expectations.</p>

<p>I'm grateful for guidance. If you have pointers to other threads, or ideas about solutions, I'm eager to read 'em.</p>

<p>(Other info: Photoshop CS6, Mac OS X, Canon 5D.)</p>

<p>Thanks in advance-</p>

I don't think any printer or monitor on the market can print or show 32 bits resolution. Most are still 8 bits. I'd forget the 32

bits part and work on profiling, calibration and the like. Also make shure the gamut of your picture does not exceed the

printer's. If I were in your shoes I'd start with printing 8 bits sRGB (that should work) and start improving from there.

<p>You'll have to render such HDR images out unless your editor has some provisions to print. In which case it will likely send just 8-bits per color to the driver. A few newer Epson drivers do accept 16-bit data on Mac only. You can't see any difference on the print using that versus an 8-bit per color document. </p>

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

<p>You'll have to render such HDR images out unless your editor has some provisions to print. In which case it will likely send just 8-bits per color to the driver. A few newer Epson drivers do accept 16-bit data on Mac only. You can't see any difference on the print using that versus an 8-bit per color document. </p>

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)