Panasonic lens with O.I.S. on Oly E-M5, what happens?

fanta

<p>I am considering to buy a Panasonic 45-175mm lens (the H-PS45175E) with O.I.S. for an Olympus E-M5. The lens does not have a switch to disable its stabilizer. Would the camera allow me to disable the lens stabilizer, and use the in-camera stabilization instead?<br>

I have found contrasting information in different forums, and couldn't find an answer in the camera manual.<br>

<br />Thank you in advance!</p>

<p>I use various Panasonic lenses on my EP2 (14mm, 14-45mm zoom, 45-200mm zoom) and it is my understanding the Olympus doesn't recognize the IS of the lens and uses its own internal system, whether the switch on the lens is on or off. I don't know about your specific lens.</p>

<p>Thanks Harvey.<br>

I still plan to buy the Lumix G X Vario PZ 45-175mm, as I am looking for a zoom that makes it at least to 150mm, very preferably moisture/dust sealed, and not so big and heavy it will require a neck strap. I hope to get a lens for "enthusiast amateur" (is it called a "prosumer"?), rendering an image quality above entry-level lenses.</p>

• 1 month later...

<p>When everything else fails, read the fine manual :)</p>

<p>So I did it, and the Panasonic lens manual reads:</p>

<p>"When using this lens [H-PS45175E] with another make of digital<br />cameras, the Optical Image Stabilizer function will<br />not work. (As of August 2011)<br />For details, contact the respective company."</p>

<p>I have mounted the lens on my Olympus OM-D, and from what I see in the display/viewfinder, if I switch off the in-camera stabilization, there is no image stabilization while I am composing the picture. Which would be consistent with what reported by the lens manual.</p>