Nikon D800 Books.

george_kronfli

<p>Having just acquired a Nikon D800, I would appreciate advice on a suitable book that will take me further than the D800 manual. I have the Tom Hogan D800 Manual and the Mastering the Nikon D800 by Darrell Young books in mind. I would like to know from those of you who have used either or both books, or indeed any others, what your considered opinion is. thanks.</p>

<h1 id="itemTitle" > </h1>

<p>In the past, I have proof-read some of Thom Hogan's Nikon camera eBooks, but I have not read the one for the D800. In fact, when I received a D800 test sample from Nikon back in March last year, I just started using it. There were a few things that I didn't know or wasn't sure about, so I went to the manual a few times.</p>

<p>By no means I am suggesting that everybody should do it my way, as I think I know Nikon cameras a lot better than the average Nikon user, but things have no changed that much from camera to camera. I am sure there are still some features that I am not aware of or familiar with, especially video features, but I think I know the D800 well enough for my photography.</p>

<p>If you have read Hogan and Yound's book reasonably well, I would say just go out and shoot more. If you get stuck with certain issues, come back and read the manual or eBook some more. You don't need to know everything about the D800, and I sure don't; you just need to know enough so that it doesn't hinder your photography.</p>

<p>Sorry to go off another channel, but I happened to see a D800 "course" at Lynda.com. However, I haven't checked it out myself yet, as I am currently very involved with Lynda.com's courses on Lightroom at the moment. I love video instructions way over books - having had too many bought and unread on my busting bookshelves. </p>

<p dir="LTR">George here is my 2 Cents: I use Nikon cameras for many years. Had D40x and D300 in the past and now I have D3x and D800E. Till I got the D800E I always read the manual provided and then shot and gained experience. With the D800E I also purchased Thom Hogan's ebook.</p>

<p dir="LTR">I agree with Shun, no much changes from camera to camera. I did enjoy the book by Thom, and got quite a bit of technical education, but as for operating the camera, it did not really add things I did not know or could not get from Nikon's manual. Sorry, I did not read Young's book, so I can't compare. </p>

<p>When I bought my D700, I found David Busch's guide a very helpful complement to the Nikon manual. I see he has one for the D800, but have no experience with it or the camera.<br>

I have also downloaded the PDF version of the camera manual from Nikon, and keep it on my Kindle. This has come in handy on several vacations. </p>

<p>I purchased Tom's ebook and was offered Darrell's book. You will get good info from both so choose the style you prefer:<br>

- Tom is a very technical writer. He goes into the most detailed info regarding how sensors work, his chapter about flash is interesting. As mentioned by others the D800 is quite similar to previous Nikon models so users familiar with them won't have a problem navigating this ebook and will enjoy getting the itsi-bitty details about the intricacies of their new camera.<br>

- Darrell has a more traditional, hands-on, task oriented approach that may be more effective for someone less familiar with older cameras or new to photography.</p>

<p>George - I found Thom Hogan's books very useful, especially regarding how to set up Menu and Shooting Banks, and about autofocus settings. I had read several books before I got his D700 book. It was a major step up from everything I had read up to that point. Once you have read one of Thom's books carefully, you might not need to read another for 5 years, but I got the D800 book just as a reference regarding changes from D700 to D800 and to answer questions that occurred to me during use (e.g., changes in Live View focusing). A pdf on an iPad (or Android tablet) is a very handy reference.</p>