Canon T80 - Early Autofocus SLR

JDMvW

• 3 months later...

<p><em>In re the clubs</em>.<br>

De Tocqueville in the 1830s particularly noted how "club/social group"-oriented Americans were by comparison to Europeans. My professional opinion is that was conditioned by population movement that made neighbors more important on a day-to-day basis than were the kin - often "back East".</p>

<p>I think the rise of what we call "age-grades" in America has a lot to do with the decline in "sodalities". To be sure, the automobile and modern communications are also factors.</p>

<p>JDM: Because of your exposee, I was THIS tempted recently to bid on an exceptionally clean T-80 on our favorite auction site. Complete with paperwork, lens and box. It sold for 53 dollars I believe. I watched it for awhile then passed and went in search of an FTBn, I knew in my photographic heart of hearts I would not use the T-80 much after it's novelty wore off and also felt that walking around with this photographic albatross of a lens / body combo would not help me pick up chicks (actually nothing helps). Plastic is ok, but if it's too light as with the Rebel G, then it's a problem. That camera is so light the optional battery pack should have been standard ! So light it kinda reminded me of those old Diana cameras or the Time Life cameras that one got with a paid subscription.</p>

<p>Excerpts from Norman Goldberg's report on the T80 in the June 1986 issue of Popular Photography:</p>

<p>"Essentially, this [the T80] is a T70 with the autofocus detection module from the AL-1, that appeared briefly in 1982."</p>

<p>"It uses a zinc alloy casting for its film plane within a glass-reinforced polycarbonate body. This casting extends out to meet another zinc casting, the front plate, resulting in an all-metal 'box' frame between the lens flange and the film."</p>

<p>"The T80 is a highly sophisticated mechanical, optical, and electronic instrument. Don't be fooled by its all-plastic exterior and picture-symbol exposure setting display - it's one more example of picture-taking simplicity backed up by sophisticated engineering."</p>

• 1 year later...