Repair facilities

goldbergbarry

<p>Okay, I can't believe I did something so stupid. Was taking pictures last night using my new tripod, turned my head for a second and the tripod with camera came crashing down. Now my absolutely favorite lens (Nikon 17-55 f/2.8) is stuck and I cannot change the focal length. Even though I cannot see any physical damage, I suspect there is significant damage.</p>

<p>Does anyone know how much Nikon would typically charge to fix something like this, or would I be better off finding a local repair shop. I work in NYC so I have access to B&H if needed.</p>

<p>Consider giving Nikon's service department in Melville a try - it sounds like you have some serious interior damage. The estimate is free from Nikon and there is no obligation/no cost to fix the lens if you decide you do not want to. </p>

<p>In my case, I elected not to fix that 70-200 since it still works perfectly in AF mode, and I applied what I would have spent on fixing it towards a version 2 of the 70-200mm/f2.8, which is a better lens anyway.</p>

<p>Unfortunately, in Barry the OP's case, not repairing it isn't a realistic option since its zoom function is stuck. Since you are in New York, the most obvious option is Nikon Melville (Long Island). You can also check with Authorized Photo Service in the Chicago area: <a href="http://nikoncamerarepair.com/">http://nikoncamerarepair.com/</a><br />That facility has been recommened by a lot of members here.</p>

<p>Please keep in mind that both repair services seem to be on the expensive side; at least that is my experience. I would say decide on one (could be a local place in NYC) and get it done. Otherwise, all the checking around and shipping back and forth will merely cost you more time and money.</p>

<p>Sounds like the "riders" that sit in a follower groove to vary the zoom have got damaged. I had a similar thing happen to a Tokina zoom that rolled off the back seat of my car and smacked face down while fitted to the camera. Inspection showed that one of the nylon riders mentioned had distorted and split, and there was also a bit of damage to the follower groove.</p>

<p>After squeezing the rider back into shape and position and working the lens a bit, it became usable again, but a bit stiff and notchy to zoom. It still works, but I suspect a proper repair would have cost about one-third to half the price of a new lens.</p>

<p>I had a similar experience about a month ago. My 24-70, 2.8 fell from the kitchen counter onto to the tile floor. The damage was similar to yours. I just received mine back from Nikon this week. They gave me an estimate of approximately $700. The actual repair was $600+tax and shipping. I am very satisfied. It was returned in like new, if not better condition. It took right at a month for Nikon to receive the parts, repari and return.</p>