The Mirrorless Party

laur1

Laurentiu, thanks for the link! Very funny. Those of us who never read the EOS forum appreciate it. The size jokes are tiresome, but I liked the Pentax jokes at the end.

Sorry to interject a factual note, but the Amazon Top 100 Camera list last week showed zero (0) mirrorless cameras. And top-sellers on the Amazon mirrorless list were all discontinued cameras or lenses. Turn out the lights, the party's over.

<blockquote>

<p>Laurentiu, thanks for the link! Very funny. Those of us who never read the EOS forum appreciate it.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>You are welcome. I didn't even think of checking the EOS forum :)</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Sorry to interject a factual note, but the Amazon Top 100 Camera list last week showed zero (0) mirrorless cameras. And top-sellers on the Amazon mirrorless list were all discontinued cameras or lenses. Turn out the lights, the party's over.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>If Amazon sales would be a good indicator of anything, then they would also seem to suggest that the P&S segment is going to be around for a very long time.</p>

<p>In terms of sheer numbers of sales and users, cell phones have surpassed dSLRs, mirrorless and compact digicams - on *some* sites. Just depends on the sampling group.</p>

<p>It's akin to going back to data from the 1980s-'90s and concluding that professional film is dead because most film sold was consumer grade stuff from the drug store.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Sorry to interject a factual note, but the Amazon Top 100 Camera list last week showed zero (0) mirrorless cameras. And top-sellers on the Amazon mirrorless list were all discontinued cameras or lenses. Turn out the lights, the party's over.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>So Amazon is now the sole indicator of the future of digital photography? Huh, I bet they would be very interested to know this. The fact is that the mirrorless party is already in full swing and the end is nowhere in sight.</p>

<p>There is a paradigm shift occurring right now in the digital world. Bulky mirror boxes and optical viewfinders have been superseded by a new technology. It is only a matter of time before big plasticky DSLR's are confined to their rightfully earned place in history. People railed against auto exposure, people railed against autofocus, people are now railing EVF's and mirrorless cameras.</p>

<p>I would personally love to see Canon come out with a smaller, mirrorless version of their 1 series cameras complete with weather sealing and magnesium body. Please Canon, pour all of your corporate might into into designing the best, professional mirrorless camera system the world has ever seen. Will a new line of lenses need to be developed? Yes. Will this alienate their current user base and anger many people? Yes. But Canon has already successfully done this once with the transition from FD to EOS. They can do it again. As it is the EOS M is a joke.</p>

<p>Sony is kicking butt and taking names right now with their current digital selection. Are they doing everything right? Nope. The are focusing to much on new, upgraded bodies and not enough on lenses and professional accessories. They are playing the market like they are a huge electronics firm, which they are. But some recent indication and rumors point to the fact that Sony is going to make some changes soon that will place their photography division first and foremost in the corporate eye. I truly hope this comes to pass.</p>

<p>As of now I am a Sony fan and a very happy user of a NEX 7. The camera actually changed the way I look at my photography. I get a much, much higher keeper rate then I ever did with my 40D or 5D. I also spend much less time post processing. Will this be the case for everyone? Of course not. But I have seen the potential of mirrorless and use it in my everyday life. But I am still waiting for Sony to fully exploit the potential of the NEX system.</p>

<p>If another manufacturer beats them to it, especially with a professional body and system of accessories and lenses, then my money and buying decision will most likely go with them. Whatever happens, all I know is that right now it is a great time to be a photographer.</p>

<p><strong><em>Sorry to interject a factual note, but the Amazon Top 100 Camera list last week showed zero (0) mirrorless cameras. And top-sellers on the Amazon mirrorless list were all discontinued cameras or lenses. Turn out the lights, the party's over....</em></strong></p>

<p>The day Amazon sells 100% of all cameras sold world-wide, you'll have a scoop. I have a feeling whatever the number really is, it's way, way short of 100%. I've never bought one from that site and today it makes no sense to since my state now has them charging sales tax.</p>