First few shots of every roll are blank - Mamiya 645

craig_biggio

<p>I'm totally new to my 645 and just got my first 4 rolls back from the lab to find only 12 (perfectly good) exposures on the roll of 120 - I was expecting 15. The first 3 shots on every roll came out as totally blank - see through on the negative. The only problem I can think of is that when I loaded the film, I didn't wind it to the start line, I just got it going, put the loader in the camera, then advanced the film until the camera clicked (must be 2-3 turns?), ready to go with the counter at '1'. The thing is, I don't understand why that would be the problem - wouldn't I just be able to get maybe an extra shot by on the roll by not advancing to the start line? <br /> Any insight?</p>

<p>It could be any number of things, but I have one possibly dumb question. Are you absolutely sure it was the first three frames that were blank and not the last three? I only ask because if you didn't go all the way to the start line when loading he film that would mean you shot your first few frames in the space where there is only backing paper and no film. And then when your counter reached 15 it would stop and make you unload the film, probably leaving blank space at the end of the roll.</p>

<p>right! that makes sense and is possible (the lab cut the negative, so I just noticed that one whole strip of negative was blank!). <br>

I assumed 120 is like a roll of 35mm - the whole roll is film (although with backing paper). Is that a wrong assumption for Portra? It certainly looks and felt like film to me from the very beginning of the roll, but I'm a complete novice (didn't even KNOW about the whole start line thing) so...</p>

<p>Another common beginner snafu with these cameras. the inadvertent application of the "multi-exposure" lever. You get one really dense neg, and a blank roll. As stated above, the start marks are important. Also "always" carry an extra 6V battery in your camera bag. You'll thank me for this later.</p>

<p>Also be advised that in sub freezing temps, keep the camera warm.The battery compartment is on the camera's bottom. If you place it on a cold surface, say an automobile roof. The battery can fail instantly. Electronic shutters die without power.<br>

Good luck and enjoy that camera.</p>