CS4 and ACR Questions

<p>I'm a "traditional" photographer who has also used digital compacts for many years (most recent previous camera - G9).<br>

Now that I have a T4i, I'm really applying myself to shooting RAW. But I'm feeling kind of stupid:<br>

I have CS4, but assume I can't convert T4i RAW files - right? No update to add the T4i?<br>

In that case, I guess I have to use a separate RAW editor/converter? So far I've been using the Canon software, which is easy, but not necessarily the best software...<br>

I believe ACR a plug in to Photoshop? If so, is it compatible with CS4? (I believe not.)<br>

I'm considering getting Lightroom. Does it have a built-in RAW editor/converter?<br>

If I have to buy a RAW editor/converter, DxO Optics Pro seems like a good one, but I don't want to have to lay out for that if there are similar alternatives that don't cost anything, or at least as much...<br>

Finally, any overall thoughts on the best solution, given my situation that I've described?<br>

Sorry for all the questions. Hope someone can help me here.<br>

<br />Thanks much,<br>

<br />Paul</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Paul - </p>

<p>ACR is a plug in for photoshop and its baby brother elements. However, Adobe periodically updates it to support newer cameras as they enter the market. Unfortunately, for reasons that have been discussed here already, they stop making the newer versions of ACR compatible with older versions of Photoshop and Elements at some point. Lightroom uses the same acr to open raw - so getting lightroom 4 will solve the problem. </p>

<p>So you are basically in the position that you have said - you can't update to the newest version of ACR since it will not support CS4 any longer. And your old version of ACR will not open the Canon T4i files (RAW) - since that is a fairly new camera. </p>

<p>My thoughts on the best solution would be lightroom 4 or Elements 11 - which is more like CS4 than lightroom. </p>

<p>Dave</p>

<p>Lightroom 4 will convert T4i RAW files. Another option is to use Adobe's DNG converter. It is freeware and will generate DNG files from the T4i RAW's. You can work on the DNG files with CS4.<br>

Canon's DPP is one of the best RAW converters around for Canon RAW files. You can convert the RAWs to Tiff in DPP and then use CS4.<br>

So you have some options but at the present price nothing (?) beats Lightroom 4. Of course YMMV.</p>

<p>If for some reason you don't want to get Lightroom, a superb program that I would not be without, you can download the free dng converter from Adobe, convert your files to dng and open them in CS4.<br>

If you do some searching on the value of Lightroom, you'll find it to be a superb raw converter, a terrific database organizer, and that you may do less in Photoshop since it has so many image manipulation tools. You can even print pretty well from it.<br>

I've convinced myself that I could not survive without Photoshop CS6, which also has many excellent bells a whistles. If you do get Lightroom, consider one of the excellent books about it as a good investment. I use the one by Martin Evening and think it's great but there are others as well.<br>

Good luck.</p>