Nikon Wednesday 2012: #50

Matt Laur

<p>This clock tower was part of the main train station decades ago. The train startion is long gone, moved to a different part of town, but they decided to keep the clock tower since it is a historic building.</p>

<p>Nikon D800E at ISO 100, 24-120mm/f4 AF-S VR at 44mm, f8, 5 seconds. Here I have no moving subject issue so that I used the base ISO 100 with a longer 5-second exposure.</p><div>00b7dm-508023684.jpg.5ced1a6af963376981df6f4771d1403b.jpg</div>

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>Found a few Hooded Mergansers hanging out in a small pond by my house. Very rare to see them around here. Roberta sorry to hear about Mr. Lloyd. I sure have enjoyed all your dog pics from the spillway. Nikon D3X, Nikon 300 2.8, Nikon TC-20E III, 600mm, F/5.6, 1/60 sec, ISO 640</p><div>00b7eI-508031684.jpg.ea1b81968a58341747e00d72473003ba.jpg</div>

<p>Michael Ferron, love that image. It's a very interesting composition, very nice.</p>

<p>Roberta Davidson, a very nice tribute to a friend. One of the things I've learned to love about photography is how the camera gives us an excuse to get to know people. Once you get to know someone it becomes hard not to become friends.</p>

<p>Chris Wick, I love the simple composition and the sky. I've gotten to become a fan of your work through the Wednesday forums and always look forward to your submissions.</p>

<p>Also Matt Laur, great image. I would normally skip on complimenting the moderator, it's like complimenting your teacher... but what the heck, good work.</p>

<p>Everybody else, yes YOU, well done sir or madam, well done.</p>

<p>So, I think I've fallen prey to NAS. Years ago when I dropped my 18-55 kit lens on my D50, I figured if I were going to replace I would upgrade. Welcome 18-70. This lens has been my trusty companion for 5+ years. I have honestly taken some of my best pictures with this lens. I liked the added speed and additional focal length above the kit lens. Recently the zoom has been sticking and against Shun's best advice I fixed it myself. Problem solved, for a few months. Then, against Shun's best advice, I fixed it again. This time, I've created focus issues and random softness. This bugger still creates amazing and sharp images, just not with the consistancy I'm beginning to demand. To solve this problem, I've resorted to using my 35 1.8 more and more. In fact on a trip to San Francisco, the 35 was the only lens I took. Amazing pictures, but not wide enough sometimes. I need a zoom.</p>

<p>Welcome the 17-55 2.8, used through KEH. Although this is not pure NAS. I would have repaired the 18-70, but at a replacement cost of not much that doesn't seem to make sense. One thing I've learned from the forums here is to answer the question "what need does your current setup not meet?" For me it came down to build quality, low light performance, focus speed. Specifically that the 18-70 with a 3.5 - 4.5 max apeture is 2/3 to 1.5 stops less light for the AF to work with, and it's falling apart. Plus with all of the great FX cameras Nikon is introducing, I get to take advantage of all the full frame upgraders selling off their amazing glass. But yeah, this lens used cost about what the D50 kit did in 2005.</p>

<p>Here are some of the penultimate photos from the venerable 18-70, making disfunctional holiday pics.</p><div>00b7fq-508059584.jpg.49bb09001a9bda1d0143412b3d17398c.jpg</div>

<p>Nikon Buddies,<br>

Happy 12.12.12! Among the reasons I look forward to Wednesdays is to see photos like the ones posted today by Matt L, Michael F, Dieter S, John R, Bill B, Scott S, Martin Z, Markku V, Rick M.<br>

I'm posting a couple of Christmas themed shots that I like.</p><div>00b7hk-508075684.jpg.3e574dbabd9d01105df960be939be859.jpg</div>