Bird calls - Android app

dzaebst

<p>I am aware there are numerous apps for the IOS (such as BirdTunes, which seems to set the standard), but what apps are out there for android? I have recently bought Alan Murphy's book "The Photographer's Guide to Attracting Birds" (which is excellent by the way), and he lists several apps but all are for IOS only.</p>

<p>I have an android tablet currently with ICS OS (i.e. Ice Cream Sandwich). I have looked on Google Play, and there are a number of free apps, but these invariably have numerous pop up ads and often have other problems, such as crashing frequently. I am also interested in an app which will have multiple identified calls for almost all birds, and one with which one can loop the calls. </p>

<p>There are just a few apps which one has to pay for, but which one is the most useful for use in the field, i.e. away from wifi or cell reception, which has a reasonably large database of calls which can be looped if desired? Does anyone have any positive experience with one of these?</p>

<p>Thanks,</p>

<p>Dennis</p>

<p>I use the Peterson app on iPad/Pod, good data source and audio. Don't know if they have an Android app yet. <br>

I've got a small bluetooth speaker that gets mainly used for music and works fine with the app. I suppose you could hang the speaker in a tree and sit back a ways in a blind. Haven't tried this but it's fun surprising your friends with crows hiding under the sofa.... ;-)</p>

<p>I also use iBird Pro on my Toshiba Android. I haven't used it long but this summer I did successfully called in Virgina Rails with it. I think I need to find a better speaker myself. The only caveat; you need to individually load in the calls for a given bird. It isn't a big deal provided you do it before you go out, so you have to have some idea of what you will be looking for, and download it, before you are somewhere where you can't access the program.<br>

Great program, it doesn't replace my Peterson guide yet though.</p>

<p>Thanks for the responses. I see the reviews on iBird Pro complain about updates taking a lot of time and crashing (requiring a forced close) most of the way through the long updates. What about that?</p>

<p>I see this program has generally favorable reviews, and it has the features I need: <a href="http://www.sibleyguides.com/about/the-sibley-eguide-to-birds-app/">Sibley e-Guide</a>. Does anyone have experience with this program on an android device?</p>

<p>Thanks again,</p>

<p>Dennis</p>

<p>Dennis, never had a problem downloading any data for IBird Pro. Douglas mentions about downloading individual birds being a small problem but I just downloaded everything. Certainly don't need all the birds but it's no more trouble, just takes a little longer initially. </p>

<p>What happens when a bunch of bird photographers and bird watchers all head to the field playing these birds calls over and over? Birds will respond, but from their points of view there are intruders and challengers everywhere, and it can be exhausting trying to defend the territory or mob predators. Seriously, a bit of thought needs to be given about playing bird calls and predators calls willy nilly all over the place just to get a good view of the bird.</p>

<p>Hello Stephen,</p>

<p>Thank you for bringing up this issue. It needs to be discussed, and it is wise to educate photographers about the proper and ethical use of this technique. I would welcome any and all thoughts from others. For the most part, my interest is in learning bird calls, although I believe in certain very limited scenarios it can be useful, and ethical, to use this technique.<br /><br /> I recognize the potential for abuse of this technique. I agree 100% that at certain times the calls should not be used, such as in breeding season, or times when distress is identified in the bird(s). One should also generally avoid using such recorded calls in heavily photographed areas. I recognize that the welfare of the birds is the most important issue, and I would never do anything to jeopardize their well-being, nor should anyone else. This includes recognizing signs of stress in individual birds and stopping the use of recorded songs when stress is observed, and never repeatedly using recorded songs on the same bird. <br /> <br /> From Alan Murphy's guide:<br /><br /></p>

<blockquote>

<p><em>"</em><em>Distress signs include, but are not limited to: a fluttering of wings or low drooping of the wings when perched (usually too far for photos); having the bill agape even when the bird is not singing; the bird continuously and nervously flying back and forth from tree to tree; the distress call is being used instead of regular (territorial) song." </em></p>

</blockquote>

<p>Best regards,<br /><br /> Dennis<br /><br /> </p>