Real estate photography film choice

<p>I'm interested in shooting a few interiors. My home, my parents, brother, a friends, and maybe a few business locations of clients.</p>

<p>For the most part I have abandoned digital when I stopped doing weddings, so that isn't a realistic choice at this point in time.</p>

<p>The suitable equipment is currently a Nikon F100 with the widest lens being a 24mm f/2.8 AF-d</p>

<p>Eventually will add to my Mamiya RB67 Pro-s a 50mm wide angle.</p>

<p>I have multiple flashes, sync cords, umbrellas for lighting... but no pocket wizards.</p>

<p>This will be part for the fun and challenge and part the long term goal of building a portfolio and pursue this as a side job.</p>

<p>I've done searches and cannot seem to find an answer. So what choice of film would be the best? Slide film? Color negative?</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I do real estate photography professionally and here's what I can tell you:</p>

<ol>

<li> Nobody wants to pay for real estate photography.</li>

<li> You'll need at least an 18mm lens on a full format camera. I typically use a 12-24mm on a crop digital. Sometimes I use full frame and 12mm is still barely enough.</li>

<li> Light is way more difficult than lens choice. Bright exterior light compared to dim interior light is a difficult match, and your clients will complain "You can't even see my Grecian blinds the sunlight washes them out!".</li>

<li> In the digital realm, the shadows and highlights tool in Photoshop is your friend. In the film world, see number 3 above. Proper lighting is key, and you'll probably need multiple flashes with radio triggers.</li>

<li> I'd go with any 400 speed film. They're all decent. Be sure to use good processing because grain can be an issue.</li>

<li> All real estate photography is digital at some point. So be prepared for scanning cost and time either at processing time or after. MAY real estate clients demand the work be delivered today, now, not tomorrow. Hence, digital.</li>

<li> BEWARE REFLECTIVE SURFACES. Mirrors are obvious, but also watch out for any shiny surface. Kitchen cabinets, for example. Semi-gloss latex paint is a real pain too.</li>

</ol>

<p>Hope that helps. :)</p><div>00b4Zi-506233584.jpg.cc1d3a96cd315fd3ca2830a1f09d85cd.jpg</div>

<p>Patrick certainly has given me some things to think about. I was thinking more on the lines of real estate photography. I can see where this would be a challenge. Most brokers I know are cheap... real cheap.</p>

<p>My mother is throwing a big Xmas party and wants images. It'll be a good test.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I used Kodak Ektar for the few film shots I'd get per house. The color saturation was top notch, however I see very many people having a problem scanning the film giving it a blue color cast that's a real hurdle to overcome in post processing. I never seemed to have that problem but I couldn't tell you why.</p>

<p>Patrick makes a lot of sense. I have been a professional photographer since the early 1960s. I took a detour for a while and sold real estate. In today's digital world most brokers and salespersons think the poorly lit, not-wide-enough snaps they take with their credit card-sized digital camera are the world's greatest photos. They do not know the difference between these photos and something decent. I've seen $3 million homes with Realtor-take photos that look like dumpy shacks.<br>

Real estate needs really good photographers, but they are not aware of the problem. Good luck.</p>

• 11 months later...

<p>I am also getting into the real estate photography business.</p>

<ol>

<li>I find the main way I make money is when clients need it NOW. As in Right Now!. Speed is your friend in Real Estate photography. I generally only get deals when the agent can't make it to a property themselves and they have a potential buyer who wants to see photos. So they generally need them the same day and online.</li>

<li>Also, HD video is a great addition to the agents. When I shoot I do both video and still photos. every additional service I can provide helps.</li>

<li>Being able to change ISO from room to room. I may go from a bright living room to a dark bathroom or basement but still want to shoot at F8. So being able to crank up the ISO and crank down the shutter speed using an IS lens or tripod is vital.</li>

</ol>

<p>In other words. I just don't think film is a good place for this type of photography. Cost wise, speed wise and lacks flexibility i.e "stitching or panoramas". Yes, possibly better image quality but this can all be done with Lightroom HDR, or Enfuse. </p>