Profile Conversion & Proof Setup

<p>Hello,</p>

<p>Apologies if this has been asked and answered. I couldn't find a close answer to my q when searching the forum.</p>

<p>I'm grateful for insight, pointers, instruction. I've converted the image's profile from sRGB to Dot Gain 20%, per guidance given by the printer who's printing the work. Makes sense that I should change my Proof Setup to Dot Gain 20% as well, no? I'd like to get the image on my screen to be as close to what she (the printer) will be seeing; and, more important, get a fair sense as to what will come out of the printer.</p>

<p>Again, I'm grateful for your help-</p>

<p>Best-</p>

<p>Software: PS/CS6<br>

Monitor: Apple iMac (Factory calibration, Gamma = 2.2)<br>

<p>Yes, you'd want to set that for the soft proof. That said, there's far more to all this (getting a display and print to visually match) then just that. Let's hope the instructions (use dot gain 20%) is correct from the printer! That alone will make a huge impact on the output. Most printers are not too savvy in properly instructing how to convert to their processes! The printer will likely not see anything (and how do you know they even calibrate and profile their displays?). They will take the file and output it. Unless there's some issue in RIPing the data, they are not going to open and view it. </p>

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

<p>thanks Andrew and Emil. I'm grateful. Good advice. She's been good enough to send me her icc profile for the printer, so i think that'll help get me close to how the printer may interpret the image--paper and ink aside.</p>

<p>one more q: jpegs. i've got to make a set of jpegs for distribution. these will likely be seen on a variety of screens with varying calibration and set to varying color profiles. do you guys recommend something close to a standard i can use that may split the difference? or should i suggest that the viewers set their monitors to a specific profile? thanks so much for ideas-</p>

<p>best-</p>

<blockquote>

<p>these will likely be seen on a variety of screens with varying calibration and set to varying color profiles.</p>

</blockquote>

<p> <br>

No matter what you do, they will all produce a different color appearance. There's not much you can do unless you could say, bring a ColorMunki or EyeOne Pro Spectrophotometer and calibrate them first. Work in tagged sRGB. But that isn't going to change the facts as you provided them: they vary in calibration if even calibrated.</p>

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)