7D Freeze Up

pbalko

<p>Both of my 7Ds froze up this evening within an hour of each other. I bought them new shortly after the model's release and have shot tens of thousands of images with each. I upgraded to the latest firmware shortly after that was released and have shot at least a thousand images with each since then.</p>

<p>There were no lens changes or flash usage tonight. One minute everything was fine and the next minute the body with the EF-S 17-55 mounted wouldn't focus. Everything was dead except the top LCD. I pushed a few buttons and spun a few dials and nothing. I turned the camera off and the LCD stayed on. Took the battery out for a few seconds, popped it back in, and everything's been fine for the rest of the night.</p>

<p>About an hour later, the same thing happened to the body with the EF 70-200 2.8 MkI mounted. This time I pushed every button, turned the dials and fidgeted the selector thingee and still nothing. Turned it off and the LCD stayed on. Pulled the battery, put it back in and everything has been fine.</p>

<p>My friendly rival in this endeavor tried to sway me to the dark side, blaming the brand and the cool weather and high humidity (50 degrees and 92%) but I told him "It's a Canon, not a Harley." I'm leaning toward the firmware upgrade. A quick search produced this: <a href="http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1216672">http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1216672</a>. Can anyone provide appropriate contact info for Canon bug reporting?</p>

<p>Any and all ideas and suggestions are welcome. Thanks.</p>

<p>Which version upgrade do you have? I just updated mine to firmware version 2.0.3 today, I believe there was a bug in the earlier version 2.0.x update that had reports of freeze ups. I saw on one of the threads saying pulling the battery would fix the issue, but I think 2.0.3 was supposed to fix that bug or phenomenon.</p>
Cheers, Mark

<p>Feeling a little sheepish now. I remember that thread, but my apparently poor choice of search terms didn't bring up any hits with solutions. I was freaked because the bodies were purchased several weeks apart from two different vendors and had different shot counts on them. Must be some kind of time-stampish thing in the firmware because the event pretty much reflected the time difference in my upgrades.</p>

<p>Thanks guys. Sorry to keep you up late.</p>

<p>There's a long thread about the 7D and FW2 at FM too. Seems most folks are okay but random "brickings" were a little too abundant with most happening fairly soon after the update. I think you're the only I recall reporting a bricking a 1000 shutter cycles. </p>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

<blockquote>

<p>I think you're the only I recall reporting a bricking a 1000 shutter cycles.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I was thinking the same thing when I was reading the thread I found. I just checked and I've shot at least 2500 pics on both cameras since the upgrade. I'd like to take my chances and see if it happens again in the same way, but I've got a wedding on Saturday so I'd better upgrade now and put the bodies through their paces.</p>