NX2

Andy Murphy

<p><em>"Some layer-based editors are LR, Elements, & Photoshop: Are there others to consider?"</em><br /> <br /> <em><br /></em>LR (Lightroom) isn't a layers based program so is not suited to the task in question. Layers programs can be bundled into Free/Medium/High cost brackets. In the Free you could look at Perfect Layers 2, in Medium there would be Elements, Paint Shop Pro and Photoline and High would bring in Photoshop. Again with reference to the task in question you wouldn't need to go beyond the Free or Medium price brackets.<br /> <br /> If you're familiar with the way of working in NX2 you may feel comfortable with the Free option I listed as it strikes me as having a similarity in its tool use. Otherwise Elements is a good safe bet and generally speaking the less you pay the more likely there are to be "walk you through it aids" to achieve what you're doing. So whilst Photoshop will be able to do just about anything you could think of wanting it to do you could pay big bucks for a program that you just sit and stare at and and wonder where's the Dummies button. It won't give you any help at all. Elements on the other hand will do a lot of the same things, particularly with photographs, and also offers a Guided Edit mode.<br>

(<em>particularly with photographs) </em>what I mean here is that PS despite its name goes way beyond being just a photo editing program, Elements is aimed more at amateur photographers' needs.</p>

Thanks Mac for the excellent summary: It helps me

understand the lineup of options for that task. I've used

NX2 for a month primarily to finesse images for

submission to Alamy for which it works very well. But, I

sometimes get requests at work or from friends to do a

group shot which is where the scenario occurs if I decide

to do the group shot.