Print sizes

david_perry6

<p>What is some of the print sizes that have worked for you using a 6X4.5 body? I have the Mamiya 645AFDII and I'm looking to getting some prints made from the negatives and was just trying to figure out what might be the best print sizes.<br>

It would seem that some cropping would take place with most of the common print sizes.</p>

<p>Thanks....Dave</p><div>00ahxw-489153684.jpg.d5e3e8c875a3773fb0035d93e0270b93.jpg</div>

I normally print 11 X 14 from 6 X 6 negatives cropped to horizontal or vertical--efectively 6 X 4.5. This is the largest

size I can comfotably print in my darkroom. The largest I've ever printed, in a borrowed darkroom, is 20 X 24 which is somethimg of an athletic feat, but the prints looked fine.

There are no hard limits. It all depends on apparent size, rather than real size.<br>A huge print will look exectly as small (and sharp, and contrasty, and etc.) as a small one when viewed from a distance great enough.<br><br>So consider how the print is going to be viewed, how it is going to be used.<br>For the walls of some rooms, for instance, a 12x9" print will be large enough (and will absolutely not stretch 6x4.5 beyond its limits), in other rooms 24x18" prints will look just right (and still not stretch 6x4.5. beyond its limits).<br>That depends on the room itself, but also on how from what distance the viewer will/can view the print.<br><br>If in either room people can walk up right to the print, they will see a difference when they do.<br>But real people have a tendency to view something from where it is comfortable, i.e. from where they see the entire thing without having to move around/stretch their necks. Only photographers run upto a print as close as they can straight away, cursing themselves for forgetting to bring the loupe yet again...<br><br>So do consider the intended use of the print first.

<p>It seems to me no one is actually answering your question. As I understand it, you are wondering what is a good size for general prints in quantity. I have always ordered 5 x 7 prints from my 6 x 4.5 Mamiya. There is still some cropping that takes place, but it is very minor. As long as you are shooing MF, you might as well have a larger print than the typical 4 x 6. </p>

<p>On second reading, it seems to me too that the OP is asking which print sizes are the most "efficient" for the 4:3 format ratio of 645. So 5"x7" comes pretty close, as does 11"x14" (not commonly available in the UK and Europe), while a borderless 16"x12" would be an exact fit.</p>

<p>Actually, you'd think that high street processors would have this sorted by now. Many little P&S digitals have a 4:3 aspect ratio, as do some DX DSLRS and the digital 4/3rds format. 5x7 never really fitted any film format (except 5x7 sheet film, and who used that?) it was always a bit of a compromise between 5:4 and 4:3.</p>

• 2 weeks later...