OM-D For Mountain Biking/Hiking/Mountaineering

boulderjoe

<p>Hello All- I have been using a Canon S95 for taking pics for the last few years. I usually take it with me on hikes and mountain biking. But lately I have been wanting more...<br>

I checked out the OM-D at my local shop and am really impressed. I think pairing it with the 17 or 20 would make a portable action cam with better shots than my S95. <br>

I had one concern, do you think the OM-D will be able to handle the shocks of being in a backpack while cycling? </p>

<p>Cheers,<br>

-Joe</p>

<p>The E-M5 is not any more delicate than most other cameras in its class. If your backpack isn't a camera backpack with a dedicated, padded pocket area for it, you may consider either wrapping the camera up in a sweatshirt or a small camera pouch (like the Crumpler Haven or Crumpler One Million) to protect it. Other than that, it should be fine. Has your S95 been okay speed-wise for action shots, with just prefocusing? You may consider a camera with phase detect autofocus, like the Nikon V1 or Sony NEX-5R, which will open you up to a much higher keeper rate, since they can track motion. Don't get me wrong, I love my Panasonic G2, and the E-M5 is nice to use as well, but its quick autofocus is still just based on static subjects. Also, with the lenses you mention, both are pretty slow focusing. In addition, the 17mm overall hasn't been received very well, as it's also not that great optically, which is why Olympus, after having finally gotten their act together, are making a new 17mm lens that is closer to the quality of their excellent 45mm and respectable 12mm. Sigma makes a 19mm and a 30mm lens for the micro 4/3 mount that are both much faster autofocus, which may help you for those action shots (although I'll note that those lenses are also available in Sony NEX mount).</p>

<p>The E-M5 should be very capable, assuming a sensible amount of common sense packing it.</p>

<p>So would an even smaller Sony RX100. My girlfriend replaced her typical Canon Elphs and S-models with this camera and it'll way outperform any Canon compact. Raw files are especially flexible. She came back from a week packing the RX100 on a horseback trip in the Canadian Rockies and the files are really impressive.</p>