Aftermarket Nikon en-EL15 any experience with this one?

personalphotos

<p>I was looking at the Ebay battery for a grip that is 7.4 volts and 4200Mah that works in a D7000 grip. It's a much bigger battery with slightly higher voltage (a concern?) but would appear to have huge capacity. Has anyone tried this battery? </p>

<p>Seems that I can't link to an Ebay auction so the auction title is "<strong>DSTE 7.4V 4200mAh EN-EL15A battery for Nikon D7000 Battery Girp MBD11 MB-D11</strong>" (no I didn't misspell "Grip")<br>

There appear to be plenty of them selling on Ebay. Thoughts?</p>

<p>If it's true they've 'upped' the voltage, the camera can draw more current (or if you like, the volts can push more amps), sometimes that can cook things internally, although I don't think the grip makes it 'go' any faster, so it's more of a stamina not speed thing, and that doesn't take much peak-power.</p>

<p>However, you never know what the actual working voltage is. It nearly always drops when in use. The 7.4v static, may well be 7v is use. What we don't know is whether the Nikon battery is <strong><em>really</em></strong> 7.4v but drops to it's labelled 7v in use .....or drops to 6.6v...etc</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"What we don't know is whether the Nikon battery is <strong><em>really</em></strong> 7.4v but drops to it's labelled 7v in use ....."</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Well we do now - kind of. I just measured the terminal voltage of the En-EL15 that came with my D800. At just over 50% charge the open-circuit voltage was 7.15 V, and when a load was placed on it to draw approximately 1 Ampere, the terminal voltage dropped to 6.93 V.</p>

<p>Under the same conditions an En-EL3e gave an O/C voltage of 7.63 and a 1 amp load voltage of 7.28. So there is a small difference in voltage between the two batteries, and they both show a slight voltage drop on load, but more so with the "old" En-EL3e. I suspect the lower voltage is due to some internal series current limiter or regulation circuitry having been added to the newer En-EL15. Or it may be due to a different cell chemistry.</p>

<p>In any case a difference of a few tenths of a volt isn't going to overload the camera, but it's probably not advisable to charge a genuine Nikon En-EL15 using a universal type Li-Ion charger.</p>

• 1 year later...
  • 9 years later...
On 8/10/2012 at 1:49 AM, personalphotos said:

<p>I was looking at the Ebay battery for a grip that is 7.4 volts and 4200Mah that works in a D7000 grip. It's a much bigger battery with slightly higher voltage (a concern?) but would appear to have huge capacity. Has anyone tried this battery? </p>

<p>Seems that I can't link to an Ebay auction so the auction title is "<strong>DSTE 7.4V 4200mAh EN-EL15A battery for Nikon D7000 Battery Girp MBD11 MB-D11</strong>" (no I didn't misspell "Grip")<br>

There appear to be plenty of them selling on Ebay. Thoughts?</p>

The voltage will be fine.  There's no way that an EN-EL15 battery will offer anything like the 4200mAh that's being claimed though.  I'd just about believe a 2000mAh though I would expect that to have come from a reputable dealer.  4200mAh is complete marketing wank!