Nikon Wednesday 2012: #42

Matt Laur

<blockquote>

<p><strong><em>Important:</em></strong> please keep your image under 700 pixels on the longest side for in-line viewing, and <em><strong>please keep the FILE SIZE UNDER 300kb</strong></em>. Note that <strong>this includes photos hosted off-site</strong> (at Flickr, Photobucket, your own site, etc).<br /><br />Are you <strong>new to this thread?</strong> The general guidelines for these Wednesday threads are <strong><a href="../nikon-camera-forum/00W7km" rel="nofollow">right here</a></strong>:<a href="../nikon-camera-forum/00W7km" rel="nofollow">http://www.photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/00W7km</a>. Our forum moderators are still allowing up to three images per week, so show 'em if you got 'em!</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Happy Wednesday, Nikon people. As I sometimes do, I spent last Thursday photographing (and shooting video ... but it was on a Nikon body!) a first responder training event. Each year the local jurisdictions get together for a mass casualty simulation, the better to practice their inter-agency communications.<br /><br />This time around, the event was hosted by the DC Fire Department at their Blue Plains training academy. While waiting for my county's participants to set up for moulage, I came across a class of DCFD cadets, reporting for sunrise classes - and starting their day with a flag raising. What was in front of your Nikon gear this past week? Share a photo!</p><div>00avo8-499847584.jpg.a1510746220e2a1353656ced8d15cd8f.jpg</div>

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>Evidence teams marked up a crushed car under tons of rubble, letting Search and Rescue dogs lead this team to their first task of the day. I watched them work for an hour to gingerly extract a very grateful crash test dummy from the wrecked car. You definitely want these guys on your side.</p><div>00avoB-499847884.jpg.a6ec171ab09c4365f8541fe225bf580a.jpg</div>

<p>I went out looking for things to photograph this weekend and ended up kicking myself for not bringing the 180/2.8. I decided to travel light and bring only my 105/2.5 AI.<br /><a href=" dinner src="http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8326/8089087143_de519357fc_z.jpg" alt="" /></a><br /> D600 • ISO 220 • Nikon 105/2.5 AI • ƒ/8.0 • 1/500th</p>

<p>Clearly manual focus lenses would make any sort of bird-in-flight photos more difficult. Thankfully this guy/gal was content to stay perched on the streetlight and simply dance around a bit, flexing his/her talons, and scratching him/herself. Apparently there's one more red-tailed hawk that frequents this block (and who is far more timid).</p>

<p><a href=" take-off src="http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8476/8096035695_48d26eedb6_z.jpg" alt="" /></a><br /> D600 • ISO 500 • Nikon 105/2.5 AI • ƒ/11.0 • 1/320th</p>

<p>Again, I'm not much of a bird-in-flight kinda guy, but you make do with what you have.</p>