Time for the Nikon D700s

sebastian_ochoa2

<p>Overall, this case for a D700s is the same case that has been made often enough through the years for various Nikon products. I say to just let it go, because time marches on, and the market drives the product cycles. People were clamoring the same way for a proper D2 successor, and they've also been wanting a proper D300s successor (which is another can of worms, and it may yet come to compete with the Sony a77, but I bet if the D7000 had a better buffer and didn't have the AF issues upon release, there would be 80% fewer threads about it). This seems to me more likely what you wanted the D800 to Plus, a wider AF coverage? Doesn't even the D4 "only" have the AF coverage of the D3s? So you're asking for a D700s that has a supra-D4 AF system, but for less than half the price? Good luck with that.</p>

<p>David, the D40 outlasted the D40X because of Ken Rockwell's pull with the newbies, classifying it as the best Nikon camera ever. Even if you look up until recently, it has affected used prices. The D40 was my first DX DSLR, and it was nice enough, but the increase from the 6MP D70's sensor performance to the D200's 10MP sensor performance (which I got when Circuit City accidentally sold the D80 on sale for $350 instead of the D60) was a welcome jump, but I do agree that there wasn't anything truly compelling in a D40 successor, to drive an upgrade for example, until the D3100 which was a noticeable upgrade in many different areas (sensor, AF system, live view, etc). It was the first camera since the D40 that was really a revolution like the D40 was for entry-level capabilites. The D40X, D60, and D3000, while incrementally better, didn't make anyone do a double take. The D3200, on the other hand . . . oh, that sensor!</p>

<p>My 2 cents. I own a D700, 7000, 800. Fine cameras all. Isn't it time that controls are placed the same in cameras. The 700 & 7000 in particular have controls, dials, buttons in different places for different functions. I vote for standardization among brands.</p>

<p>As some people said in this thread, you are not going to get everything the D4 has on the D700x, if Nikon ever goes for it.<br>

I do understand your point Sebastian, because I do have the D300 and so far, there are not any camera out there to overpower all the functions of my camera. The D7000 has much better ISO behavior and IQ but its buffer while shooting in RAW and high fps is terrible. The D600 is a different system ( FX ) but still is lacking the 51 AF points, buffer and fps found in my camera. So as every single D300 user in the world, I am still waiting for the D400, expecting that this camera keeps whatever I do have in my D300 and improved ISO. Regarding pixels, I know that if Nikon ever come out with it, will have between 12 and 24 million pixels and the price will be around 2k.</p>

<p>If Nikon never create a D700 and / or D300 replacements, our only option is to go for the D3 or D4 if we want to keep all the functions that we already have plus more. Unfortunately that is the way it is so far. The problem is that those camera are 5k plus and is a wallet breaker deal for the majority. Between 2 and 4k, we don't have anything in the Nikon world so far and I don't think that Nikon will give us a camera with all the D4 functions and capabilities for less than 5k. So we either wait or pull 5k from our wallet to go for its majesties : either the D3 series or the D4. </p>

<p> </p>

• 4 weeks later...

<p>I am new among you Nikon users, coming from Pentax DSLRs, originating a long time ago with film SLRs, so long ago that there still were SLRs called Nikkormat (and I also used a Canon Pellix, designed just as Sony SLR series, that is, with a fixed mirror).</p>

<p>Things have changed fast around cameras - the Nikon D1X had 3.5MP sensor, and a modern Hasselblad has 200MP, if not more!</p>

<p>No camera is perfect, not even my beloved D600, or the well used V1, nor the D3200. In some ways the K-5 I had was far better than my current D600, some far worse, for instance the K-5's autofocus had big problems with birds in flight - the D600 has far less - still not perfect! Weight-wise they were/are about equal, but the K-5 is in design more like the D800, as it is mainly made out of a magnesium alloy.</p>

<p>The current K-5 IIs is said to be better, resolution-wise, than any Canon DSLR, no matter what model - that's impressive, but I'm not going back. I've changed horses, and so be it ;-)!</p>

<p>I came into Nikon via my binoculars, and then a V1 (my gift to my dear wife, who instead opted for the Olympus OM-D, as complement to her K-5), a FT1 adapter, and a few F Mount lenses, new and old, zooms, and primes.</p>

<p>For those who want an upgrade to their D300 there still is the D300S ....</p>