Nikon 50mm 1.4AFG- Is it worth the upgrade?

leonard_forte2

<p>50mm is one of my favorite's focal lengths an I tested many lenses. IMHO without to go on the exotic expensive side, the three best lenses are:<br>

Sigma 50/1.4 - best for portraiture and for use at f/1.4 - f/2.8<br>

Nikon 50/1.8 AF-S - best all-around lens <br>

Nikon 50/1.2 AI-S - very nice character in low light, especially at f/2 - f/2.8<br>

Strictly between 50/1.4 G and 50/1.8 G I'll pick the later at any time. Faster AF, pleasant bokeh, less expensive. </p>

<p>Mihai<br>

If you can get hold of one you might really like the Nikon 50mm f/2. Of all the 50's I own it is the sharpest of the bunch wide open. Its a small well built lens that will surprise you.<br>

And just so you know what I have to compare it against I have in order of sppe.<br>

50mm f/1.2 AI-S<br>

55mm f/1.2 AI-ed<br>

50mm f/1.4 pre AI<br>

50mm f/1.4 AFD<br>

50mm f/1.8 AI<br>

50mm f/1.8 AFD<br>

50mm f/1.8 G <br>

50mm f/2 AI<br>

55mm f/2.8 Micro AI-S<br>

60mm f/2.8 AFD</p>

<p>You might say I have a thing for lenses in that focal length.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Wow Michael! I considered that I have a bunch of 50's, feeling guilty... but looking at your list I start to feel better. Honestly I was looking for a 50/2 but I had no chance yet to add it to my huge stable with this FOV... Apart of the three lenses I listed above I have between 40 and 60mm probably half from the total number of lenses I own :) Here is a draft from my memory:<br>

CV 40/2<br>

Nikon 45/2.8 AI-P - a stunning little performer even on D800<br>

50/1.8 AI "long nose"<br>

50/1.8 AI-S <br>

Zeiss 50/2 MP<br>

C/Y 50/1.8 Leitaxed<br>

55/1.2 AI<br>

58/1.2 AI-S<br>

CV 58/1.4<br>

I owned and parted with 50/1.4 AF-S and 50/1.4 AF-D. Believe me or not... but each one is different and every time when I need something in this focal range I have no hesitation to pick the right tool.<br>

I'll look more for that 50/2 - I can find a place for it :))))</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Ok Mihai<br>

You are as bad as I am. I have to tell you I have lusted after the 58mm f/1.2 but just can not justify it.<br>

I did forget to list my 58f/1.4 it has a truly unique look to it.</p>

<p>Here is a link for a 50 f/2 this is an older version then the one I have</p>

<p>http://www.keh.com/camera/Nikon-Manual-Focus-Fixed-Focal-Length-Lenses/1/sku-NK06999047905N?r=FE</p>

<p>Would I notice any difference ? - perhaps not.<br>

You do not say what camera you use. Mechanical drive auto focus varies with the camera models. More PRO models have vary fast mechanical focus drive, so you may not see much of speed increase with the AF-S over AF.</p>

<p>I just read a review stating that the AF D lens is sharper than the AF-S G lens. What do you know ?</p>

<p>Is it worth the price ? - depends.</p>

<p>Last question is if how you use the lens, if you have any additional equipment that depends on the aperture ring on the lens barrel? Do you use macro with the lens inverted and mounted via filter thread ? Do you hook up a telescope or a spotting scope, microscope, etc. ? Do you plan to use extension tubes, bellows etc.? - if yes, then the aperture ring will come handy.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>There is very very little difference between my 50/1.4AiS and my 50/1.4AFS versions wide open (mainly due to the 7 vs 9 diaph. blades, only slightly noticeable at certain highlight spots), so I think the AFD version will show even a smaller (if any) difference (exactly same specs as the AiS).</p>

<p>The AF on the AFS is slow, silent, highly accurate (well, not "highly" or "lowy", mine is -always- dead on). I like the construction far more (inner barrel focus, there are not telescoping elements, just add a protective filter to have a "sealed type" IF lens), the hood is of a right design. The MF ring is not a huge deal, no special improvement here.</p>

No it isn't. The Nikon 1.4G is a bit sharper in the center and much, much sharper on the edges and corners at most

apertures. The Nikon 1.8G is slightly sharper than the 1.4G at some apertures and slightly less at others. The Sigma

produces more CA but less vignette and slightly better bokeh. Maybe. In some situations, wide open or almost wide open.

I wouldn't recommend the Sigma for most people. Actually, if you don't need it to go to 1.4, I don't see much downside to

the 1.8G lens. It's half the price or less and you almost never notice the difference.

<p>I guess this review, with numbers, has got it all wrong then.</p>

<p>For the Sigma... <a href="http://www.lenstip.com/177.4-Lens_review-Sigma_50_mm_f_1.4_EX_DG_HSM_Image_resolution.html">http://www.lenstip.com/177.4-Lens_review-Sigma_50_mm_f_1.4_EX_DG_HSM_Image_resolution.html</a></p>

<p>For the Nikon... <a href="http://www.lenstip.com/162.4-Lens_review-Nikon_Nikkor_AF-S_50_mm_f_1.4G_Image_resolution.html">http://www.lenstip.com/162.4-Lens_review-Nikon_Nikkor_AF-S_50_mm_f_1.4G_Image_resolution.html</a></p>

<p>I'll just use one quote from the Sigma review.</p>

<p><em>"It’s clearly Sigma’s advantage over the Canon 1.4/50, which was able to reach just 40 lpmm. <strong>Nikkor,</strong> Pentax and Sony might compete with Sigma in record breaking by f/4.0 – 5.6 but by f/2.8 they are<strong> significantly worse</strong>."</em><br>

<em> </em><br>

Andy, how do you think Sigma can sell<strong><em> ANY</em></strong> of these 50mm lenses if their's is <strong>£369</strong> and Nikon's is <strong>£279</strong>? Go figure!!</p>

<p>Interesting. It looks like Lens-Tip test the Sigma on Canon cameras, the Nikon on a D3X.</p>

<p>Photozone.de test both lenses on a D3X, with slightly different results. Actually, photozone scores the Nikon much higher than the Sigma for the much better corner rendition. Not a huge difference in center resolution, I guess, given the conclusions.</p>

<p>Bokeh looks to make a difference. As fas as I have seen, the Sigma looks way better, although some images show bizarre CA issues. The Nikkor enjoy the typical "nervousness" we are used to.</p>

<p>Infact, the selling price for 2nd hand Sigmas on eBay, is more-or-less the same as new Nikon lens pricing. </p>

<p>So, given £280 to spend on a 50mm 1.4 for their Nikon DSLR, people are choosing a 2nd hand Sigma with no warranty over a new Nikon....that's gotta mean something about the quality of the Sigma!</p>

<p>Not that bad, just a different performer; time ago Matt Laur posted several pics showing the difference between Sigmas and Nikkors. At the highlight spots, the Sigmas were evenly filled "neutral type" circles, while the Nikkors are the classic doughnuts or rings. It makes the Sigmas to also show a softer rendering in "the other" areas, while the Nikkors use to show double lines as soon as they can... typical of super-sharp lenses.</p>

<p>With this two lenses, we have the option of two different spherical correction choices. And I think border/corner sharpness is irrelevant for those who look for the highest bokeh quality. People who like to have something different or specialized use to "enjoy" a penalization, that`s usual... <br /> (Sincerely, I don`t care so much about it. I hate highlight spots <em>everytime!</em>)</p>