Quality aftermarket batteries now available for EN-EL15's

lisa_b4

<p>After the initial problems with the Nikon EN-EL15 batteries and the subsequent recall, prices for the EN-EL15 have remained high and supply has been tight. A good friend just told me about <a href="http://www.amazon.com/Wasabi-Power-Batteries-QTY-DECODED/dp/B009DJ1THW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1351096724&sr=8-2&keywords=wasabi+power+battery+and+charger+kit+d7000">these aftermarket EN-EL15 batteries from Wasabi Power Products</a>. They are made in Japan, come with a 3 year warranty, and you can buy two of them plus a charger (with DC/cigarette plug adapter) for less than the price of one Nikon EN-EL15. My friend is a photo journalist who is hard on his gear and he's been using them since mid September and reports that they're great batteries.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I read the reviews on Amazon regarding the Wasabis.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Pay some attention to those reviews on Amazon; they are all from the last month or two. Lisa's friend has been using those batteries since mid September, which was also like just one month ago.</p>

<p>The EN-EL15 has been around for two years. The Wasabi batteries may work very well in the longer run, but at least I haven't seen any data to suppor that.</p>

<p>Another issue is how well Wasabi reverse engineers Nikon chip. For example, the EN-EL3e was first available for the D200 back in 2005. Some of the early EN-EL3e clones can only work with the D200. Later on Nikon changed some electronics and those early clones cannot work with the D300, etc. It is quite weird.</p>

<p>In any case, since it is cheap enough, you can give the Wasabi bettery a try. Just be prepared that it might not work with future bodies that also use the EN-EL15. I have had that same problem with some Sony battery clones.</p>

<p>Hmmm! Amazon UK/Europe don't appear to be selling this brand, although there are plenty of other "cloned" En-el15s available. Even *Bay haven't got this brand listed.</p>

<p>There's a similar looking label with a kind of bear-paw logo on it. Anyone have any good or bad experiences with them?</p>