trouble with canon CR2 files

gwenyth_m

<p>I am hoping someone can help me. Here is the issue. I did a photoshoot for a family. I clicked through the images onsite and everything looked great. I got home and the camera tells me there are no images. So I ran a recovery program, pc inspector, on the memory card (a promaster). The program found all the CR2 raw files. They look great in thumbnail view, I can even open to edit in DPP for canon. Then I get a decoding error when I try to save the changes, or even sooner. If I convert to jpeg I get colored boxes mostly on the right and tops of the images. Some of the photos I was able to save by cropping these boxes, but some are too tight and there is no way to crop around the box. CS4 won’t even recognize the files to open them. But I can see them perfect in the Camera Raw program. I tried converting to DNG, and that won’t work I get the decoding error. This is only my second time shooting in RAW because it gives me better control over the images---very frustrating as the program found all the jpegs too and they are still in perfect shape. Is there anything I can do to get the same images I see in the thumbnail on conversion to jpeg? I am guessing some pixels got lost somehow…. Any ideas? Anything? I am saving all I can by the crop method… but some of the best shots have the stupid box popping up in them.</p>

<p>Which Canon do you have? Have you ever been able to decode this camera's RAW files with CS4?</p>

<p>It is entirely likely that you simply have a newer camera than your CS4 and DNG converter can handle. You will need to see if Adobe has updates available for your software that will allow them to process the RAW files from your camera.</p>

<p>Whenever new cameras come out, Adobe, Apple, and others have to play catch-up and decode these RAW files, and then issue updates to their software. Until the software is updated, the programs won't decode the "new" RAW files from the camera.</p>

<p>It may be a corrupt card. Try running the recovery program again, or even running a different recovery program. You may get different files that work. The fact that the camera told you no images is disturbing.</p>

<p>Did you use a different computer to view the files? If so the program used to pull the files off the card may be set to delete off the card as it does so. Check the original computer. I'm leery of putting my memory card anywhere but in my systems for just this reason.</p>

<p>CR2 files are actually a RAW container that contains the RAW image together with a smaller JPG and some extra information. I have had good experience with JPEGsnoop for recovery and repair of RAW files. You may give it a try, see also <a href="../digital-darkroom-forum/00aTeE">http://www.photo.net/digital-darkroom-forum/00aTeE</a> <br>

BTW, the way you describe the problem may point to a defective card or malfunctioning hardware between the card and the computer (card reader, usb cable).</p>

THANK YOU!!! It worked. Photos are restored!! The card got corrupted somehow. I knew you guys would have a solution. I

also updated cs4. I haven't tested a cr2 file in it yet, but I will tomorrow. I only recently got the courage to shoot in. Raw.

But it is so much better. :)