Movement of 5 x 4 camera on tripod baseplate

gerald_costello

I am having problems with movement of my camera on the base plate on

my Manfrotto 155 Tripod. My Toyo 45A11 field camera is slipping on

the base plate and is really annoying the hell out of me! I have even

bought the larger base plate but am still having the problem of the

camera twisting around on the plate, always as I am about to insert a

darkslide, which means recomposing the shot etc.etc.

Any suggestions out there?

Gerald

Go to your local auto parts store, and buy a roll of gasket cork.

I have it on the top of all my tripods, and it works great. Glue it on with contact cement, and trim off the extra with a knife/razor blade. Use the leftovers to line the drawers in you tool box,ect.

www.doncameron.com

Gerald, I also use Bogen/Manfrotto tripods and mounting plates with my Toyo 45AII. I had the same problem, and corrected it by using the larger 3/8 mounting screw on the tripod head. The Toyo 45AII comes with the choice of bushings for that size screw. It's a larger diameter, and it allows me to really tighten it down . The mounting plates on my tripod heads have smooth cork surfaces. I used medium sandpaper to roughen the cork surface. It seems to have solved the problem.

I've never had a camera move on me since I started using a simple trick I learned from the cinematographer I assisted many years ago. When you're mounting a multi-thousand dollar Arriflex camera and Angenieux lens combination you want to be sure it doesn't fall of the tripod.

As I'm starting to thread the tripod into the camera socket, I have the camera slightly off centre - about 15 to 20 degrees to the left. Thread the tripod screw in as tight as you can get it by hand and then, holding the screw so it doesn't move, twist the camera into square (centred) alignment. You can get better leverage by twisting the camera than by twisting the tripod mounting screw. It works everytime.