Client unhappy - advice needed

I recently did some headshots for a private practice and they were happy with the work. The office manager was put in charge of the

project by one of the doctors who owns the practice.

The office manager contacted me again for additional headshots and "some candid office shots". I quoted them the cost of the headshots

and basically threw in the candid shots for free. Frankly, the office manager was so wishy washy about the candid shot part, I didn't even

think about it.

When I arrived at the clinic, it was in disarray. They are expanding the premises and most of the rooms are either empty or not photo

ready (meaning lots of stuff lying around). I was given limited access to the premises as it is an all-woman's clinic and was basically just

told to get some nice interior shots. I was under the impression that the office manager was going to guide me around this unfamiliar

office space but suddenly she had an impromptu meeting with someone leaving me to fend for myself.

About 15 minutes into shooting the rooms, the owner/doctor comes to me and takes a look at what I'm shooting. She says i'ts too bland

and fetches her iPhone to show me what she has in mind. She proceeds to take a close up of a flower here, the edge of a chair there. I

want you to capture the experience and feeling of being here, she says. I get the idea and she leaves.

At this point, I'm feeling like this "little extra" part of the gig is becoming unexpectedly larger and also sucking up a lot of my time. I do it

anyway as best I can and I'm pretty pleased with how everything looks. The headshots go off without a hitch and, when all is said and

done, I send them over 40 interior shots with the originally planned headshots.

Two weeks later I get an email from the office manager saying the headshots are fine but the doctor said the interiors were not what she

was hoping for and could I come back for a redo.

I'm not sure how to handle this because I don't want to go back only to have every single shot micro-managed and, frankly, the scope of

this part of the job was grossly misrepresented.

To add to the mix, my wife is an employee at the clinic so it would certainly make for some awkwardness for her if I were to blow it off. I

know there is no money so offering to do it for a fee is not an option. I offered the "candid shots" for free because my wife got me the job

and I knew the budget was tight.

I feel this whole thing is unfair because I believe I delivered my part of the agreement. Sorry this is so long-winded but I'd appreciate

some advice on how to handle this.

<p>Ask for a meeting with the head person and the office manager because you want to sit down with them and get the scope nailed down. If you really didn't add anything for doing the candids, have the invoices for the original headshots and the second visit so that you can back up your claim that little to nothing was added for a "few' candid shots.</p>

<p>Be professional, let them know--at the meeting--that you were led to believe/assumed that the candid part was minimal. Get clarity as to what they want and talk about a price for the level of effort they are looking for versus what you understood. Be very flexible and nice and professional. If you have to, back peddle a bit, but be professional and show interest in doing it and getting it right but not apologetic. Regardless of anything else, you need to get an idea of what they really want as the final product.</p>

<p>Success doing this business takes a lot of work keeping clients happy but not getting walked on, it is a balance that you want to be on the waked on side unless you want to write the client off. Giving a little extra for good will is part of what we do to develop clients.</p>

<p>I hate to be the bearer of bad news, you have to suck it up with a smile on your face and do what they ask. Some things are a hit, when you don't have any time to post-processing and a bit embarrased to show the client what you did and get ready for a redo or explain you need the time to post process and they think it's the greatest work they've ever seen. Othertimes, as is here, you think you did a fine job but the client isn't happy. You just go back with a smile on your face, discuss with the client their expectations, and tell them you'd be happy to reshoot. Since your wife works for this organization especially :) </p>

<p>Well...I think your response needs to be in between John and Matt's. You got yourself in a pickle here and it happens. You need to know just who is the client here and explain to that person how things work for a professional like yourself. They owe it to you to be clear about what they want and to get the place cleaned up for a shoot. You are not in the magic business. But then you need to soften the blow because it's your wife's workplace. But they need to know the joint was a mess and a non-photog is gumming up the works for them. I think you need to offer to re-shoot the interior shots gratis.</p>

<p>Since you didn't charge anything 'extra' for the interior shots, you really can't go back on that now and say "Well it will now be $xxx.xx" for those. </p>

<p>However, what you can do, should do, and need to do is sit down with the office manager (assuming she / he is decision maker) and find out exactly what it is they are looking for. Bring a laptop or tablet loaded with the images you already have taken so when they say - "I want something like this" you can pull up a similar image that you have already taken. If none of your images match what they are looking for, grab your camera and go shoot. </p>

<p>I would also suggest that the office manager accompany you if you have to reshoot. Show images on your lcd as you go. Making sure that you're getting what they want. </p>

<p>It's not uncommon for a marketing person to keep saying - that's not what we want. What's difficult is to get them to say - WE WANT THAT!</p>

<p>Dave</p>

<p>I would be honest with them. "I wasn't expecting the candid shots to take long, so I actually threw them in, gratis."</p>

<p>Let them know you're looking for a win/win. Find out what they want. How will these new expectations benefit them? How will these new expectations benefit you? If both parties can't come to a mutually understanding with benefits to both, then you don't have a deal.</p>

<p>Don't let the fact that your wife works there influence you to do this job at a loss.</p>

<p>You said you know there is no money. There is always money. Otherwise, the lights wouldn't be on. Other vendors wouldn't be paid. If they're willing to pay other people in order to benefit their business, they should be willing to pay you.</p>

<p>You are delivering a service and products that are extremely beneficial to their bottom line. You should share in that. There is no reason why you should create value for them without getting paid unless this is a charity in which you believe.</p>

<p>Eric</p>

<p>"<em>Don't let the fact that your wife works there influence you to do this job at a loss."</em><br>

<em><br /></em>That's a bit selfish. I agree with Wayne. Be polite, explain yourself and do your best to make them happy. Get it over with. Do you really want your wife dealing with her coworkers talking about how her husband did a half ass job?</p>

<p>Thanks for all the valuable advice, it is very helpful and much appreciated.<br>

I sent the office manager a quick email saying I would be happy to work something out. Basically I'm going back there and will work with the doctor/owner directly so that she knows exactly what I'm shooting at least for the first few photos. If I really get what she's after, I think I can cut her loose :) I'm not going to charge them anything but, in an appropriate way, I'm going to point out that the initial agreement was changed dramatically.<br>

I'll be happy to get this off my plate but it is most important to me to make this right for her so I can get some repeat business or referrals.</p>