bulb for Durst S45 Laborator

eleanor

<p>http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/809285-REG/Ushio_1001269_PH213_Lamp_250W.html will work for smaller formats in the Durst 138 (same condenser head I believe).<br>

I generally use a http://www.topbulb.com/find/Product_Description.asp?intProductID=46143 with a variac set at between 80 and 110volts. Each 10 adjustment gives about a 1/2 stop change in light. And I think the lower voltage increases the life of the bulb. I think this is as close to the factory bulb as you will find now. You will also need a fan to exhaust the heat from this larger bulb.</p>

<p>Once you know it's a "BHD" (ANSI code) bulb, you look on eBay and see: http://www.ebay.com/itm/WESTINGHOUSE-BHD-LAMP-LIGHT-BULB-20V-100W-BA15S-S11-ANSI-SC-Candelabra-Bayonet-/300778092489?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4607c577c9<br /> $20.<br>

Well, the BHD probably only applies if the enlarger is setup for the point light source with a transformer to provide 20 volts to the bulb.</p>

<p>Yes, if you have the point light source you need the BHD bulb. But the fact that Eleanor was looking for a 250watt Opal bulb says she does not have a point light source, but rather the standard more diffuse setup that uses bulbs with an E26 base.</p>

<p>The BHD bulbs as a point light source are for very high contrast imaging. This was / is primarily a medical application.<br>

None of the above options are suitable replacements for the original Opal bulb.<br>

However, if you go here: http://www.glennview.com/index.htm you can find an excellent replacement light source from a very knowledgeable guy.</p>

<p>The glennview bulb is not an original bulb (unless you buy his enlargers). I'm sure what he is selling works just fine, but the PH/303 bulb I listed fromTopBulb also works just fine. Take your time to center it and then check with an enlarging meter. The evenness of the light is very close to the original bulb (of which I have one). In my mind it's an excellent option that cheaply let's you print with these great 5x7 enlargers.</p>

<p>Durst Pro also sells a very nice sounding kit that lets you switch from point to normal condenser to diffusion. It has a regulated power supply so it's probably very repeatable. It's out of my price range at the moment, but I would love to pick one up.</p>

<p>I am intrigued by the PH/303 bulb. For 15 bucks I think I'll check it out.<br>

I have three of the S45 enlargers, the last one I found at a state surplus auction and came with 10 brand new Opal bulbs. If the PH/303 bulb works well I'll save my Opals for important work and use the PH/303 bulb for everyday work.</p>

• 3 weeks later...

<p>There are a couple of practical alternatives for use in a Durst S45 or Durst 138:</p>

<p>1) The PH213 250 watt opal bulb will work perfectly well provided that you center it (easy to do with the three axis adjustment on a Durst). This despite the recommendation in Durst manuals for a larger diameter bulb. I use this bulb in my Durst 138. These are also called "Photofloods" and are readily available for $2-3.</p>

<p>2) The G40 150 watt bulb is the same diameter as the Durst recommended opal bulb. The G40 (the designation is for the bulb size) is also an opal bulb and is intended for decorator applications. Obviously, the light output is less than that for a 250 watt bulb but is probably useable for you unless you are dealing with very dense negatives. Conveniently, the label on the bulb is near the base, not at the top, just like an enlarger bulb.</p>

<p>The G40 sells for about $5. Lowes carries them in some places and they are easily found at the internet light bulb vendors.</p>