joseph_wei

Hi,

I'm completely new to large-format photography and have a couple

basic questions. I just borrowed an old Crown Graphic from my school

photo department. With it came a sealed pack of 4x5 Tri-X and 4 film

holders. Toying with the camera, I succeded in opening up the front

cover (and extending the bellows/lens) as well as exposing the rear

ground glass. My questions:

1. How do I load the Tri-X sheets into the film holders?

2. How do I install the film holders in the camera?

Any other advice concerning large format photography would be great.

I plan to use this camera for group shots, some "photojournalist"

pictures, and landscapes. Thanks!

JW

I did not, and will not, damage the camera. The only reason why I asked the film loading question is because the 45-year-old instruction sheet that came with the camera is missing the bottom half (which supposedly contained instructions for how to load film). Secondly, there is no one in the photo department that knows how the operate the camera. The photo teacher is new at the school, and is largely unfamiliar with large format. Hope that clears up some questions.

JW

Joseph,

take a bit of time to find some info on the internet, or see if there are any library books dealing with LF cameras.

Spend some time gently fiddling with it, working things out (kudos on figuring how to open it! there are whole threads on here on that...)

The LargeFormat site mentioned has tons of good basic info - take time to look through it.

Also, check out www.graflex.org - again, lots of info.

And don't open the box of film in any kind of light - just total dark!

good luck and have fun

The loading instructions recommended above are a good place to start. Also take a look at Steve Simmons' _Using the View Camera_ for a general introduction to what you can do with a large format camera, and www.graflex.org for instructions relating to the Crown. Also you might look at Ansel Adams' _The Camera_, which covers some basic view camera issues.

Joseph,

The way to load film into the film holders is as follows. First of all if the dark slides in the film holders have the silver or white surface out at the handle don't change anything. If the black surface is out then remove the darkslides from the film holders and reverse them so that the silver or white surface is outward. This is the way that you will determine if the film in the holder has been exposed. Secondly do not open the box of film in anything other then total darkness.(you will need to open the box of film and the film holders in a totally dark room). Third remove the two covers from the box of film and remove the darkslide from the holder about half way. Take one sheet of film from the box, there will be film emulsion notches on one end of the sheet of film. If you are holding the sheet so that the emulsion notches are at the bottom right hand corner of the sheet the emulsion will be facing you. Insert the film into the grooves in the holder that are beneath the darkslide. You will need to insert it and slide it in. When the film is inserted, close the darkslide and engage the lock at the handle end. Do the same procedure on the other side. The holders hold two sheets of film. To use the camera, open it up as you did before, expose the ground glass, the lens should have a preview focus on it that will allow you to open the aperture for focusing on the ground glass. The way that you focus this camera is to move the lens board in or out in relation to the ground glass. In other words by extending or retracting the bellows. When you have focused and composed your scene as you wish, then close the preview focus feature of the lens and cock the shutter and set the aperature for the exposure that you want. Insert the film holder into the spring back. Remove the darkslide and trip the shutter. That is how this camera works. If you don't have a light meter then I would begin by exposing TriX at 1/125 second at F16 in bright sunlight. Develop your film in HC110 Dilution B for 6 1/2 minutes at 70 degrees. You should be in the ball park with that exposure and development. I hope that this will be of help to you and good luck in your endeavor. Have fun with your photography. Oh and by the way, when you expose a sheet of film, it is customary to reverse the darkslide so that the black surface is outward (this indicates that this sheet of film has been exposed. Also in loading your film holders the emulsion side of the film obviously must face outward and not inward toward the divider in the film holder.

Regards,

Donald Miller

Re <i>"BTW, that's not a "pack" of film, that's a box of film."</i><BR><BR>Film pack tri-x was available in the late 1970's still; and the camera is way older than this. Film pack is a pack of film that is loaded as one "pack"; and all the exposures are made in sequence; after each tab is pulled for each exposure. They dont make this film type anymore...<BR><BR>Sheet films are individual sheets; each slightly smaller than 4x5". Most sheet holder hold two sheets; and have two metal darkslides. Film must be loaded in total darkness. The emulsion faces up when the film notch is in the upper right. <BR><BR>What type of film do you have; old film that came with the camera; or new film you just bought?<BR><BR>One of my used Speed Graphics I bought off of E*bay came with new old stock film pack film; and the holder for it too; plus several regular sheet film holders......

Hi...

You seem to be very brave to tackle 4x5 format in the "photojournalist" style...good...the previous advice is nice and I'd like to add my advice.. check the text books on photography at your school or the libray and read the LF section... have fun.... :)

Joseph, been there know how you feel - good advice above. What I did was open the box of film, in total darkness, removed one sheet of film and closed the box back up. Then turn on the lights and practice loading the film in the film holder. I used the notch on the film to determine how to load - if the notch was in the upper right hand corner, then the film was loaded properly. Don't be afraid, the Crown I have is a lot of fun - and that's part of the reason I enjoy photography...

Joseph, I like your style! Go into the darkroom, open that box up and take out a sheet of tri-x as suggested above--- put the film back in the box with all the pieces nesting correctly to keep the light out. Play with loading a holder in the light--touching the non-emulsion side won't hurt anything---get those notches in the upper right corner and try it a few times with your eyes closed until you feel comfortable, then try it for real. Piece of cake! FWIW, I pull all the darkslides about a inch on all the holders I'm going to load, open the flaps and stack them up that way before the lights go off. It speeds things up, and when each sheet seats, I close the flap and send the darkslide home, turning the little wire thingy to keep from accidentally pulling the darkslide again---it helps eliminate some confusion in the dark. You can do it! Good luck!

Sacrifice one sheet of film, and practice loading the holder in daylight until you can do it with your eyes closed. (It's OK to open your eyes in the dark.)

The key points are: learn to identify film type, emulsion side and darkslide orientation in the dark; get the film under both guides, every time, smoothly; avoid touching the emulsion side; don't kink or bend the film unnecessarily.

The film notch should be in the upper right, with the emulsion facing you, and loaded in the holder with the notch side toward the open end.

The darkslide has a silver and black side, which is also coded with raised dimples. Learn which is which, and load the silver-side out for unexposed film. (Insert the black side out once the film is exposed.)

You don't have to remove the darkslide, just pull it open about 1/2-way. Hold the film gate open with the left index finger, out of the way of the film, and grip the holder with the thumb and ring finger. Hold the film in the right hand by the notched corner. The film holder should be flat on the table, with the open end turned about 45 deg to your right.

Engage the film under one guide with film slightly off-axis, then the other guide. (With practice, it's easier to push the film in straight, in one motion.)

The film must go under the guides. In the dark, check this with your thumbnail before closing the darkslide. (If you miss, the darkslide will push the film out of the holder after you take a picture.)

Hold the film gate closed, and re-insert the darkslide. Make sure it is fully inserted, and into the groove in the film gate.

(You can discard the foil pouch after you open the film. The triple-box keeps the light out, and the it's easier to pick up the film if you don't have to fumble with the pouch.)

Do all of the above with only two hands!

Hi,

Thanks to all who posted replies to my original questions. The advice was extremely helpful. I practiced loading a single sheet a about 8 times this morning, and I seem to have gotten the hang of it. I just have a couple of small questions left:

The box (not "pack" as several others have corrected me) containing the Tri-X, is expiry-dated 1997. The photo department records read that the camera was last used late that year. Would this such overexpired film still be safe to use? If it is still useable, what can I expect from it?

Thanks again for all the help!

JW

Try it out. If it hasn't been stored under adverse conditions, it should be okay. B&W neg film doesn't suffer too much from age. It might have a little higher base fog density than new film, so you could rate it a little slower than normal to compensate, but if it's only five years out of date, it should be minimal.

• 8 years later...