Overwhelmed about a portrait shoot!

prabhu_v

<p>I'm not sure if this post belongs here or in the Fashion section, but basically, I've rented an 85mm 1.4 lens this weekend to take a few shots of my wife as I want to experiment with portrait photography. It's going to be outdoors as I don't have an indoor facility or lighting, and I won't have an assistant with me. Since it's not for a client, I'm not too worried about perfection, but I do want to do the best I can. <br /> I was thinking of taking her to a park or beach setting and take some shots of her posing "fashionably". I have a few scenarios in mind: head shots, full length, standing, sitting, near trees, leaning on a wall, near railway tracks, bokeh, Black and White, etc. <br /> I've never done this before so I wanted to get some advice, tips, do's and don'ts, and anything else that will help me make the most out of my rental. I'll be using a Nikon D5100 camera. I do have an external flash, and like I said it's going to be outdoors. <br /> I've read the portrait article here and have also looked at flickr and 500px for portrait examples. I have bookmarked the pictures I like and thought that I could simply start by imitating some of the styles and worry about originality when I become more experienced.<br /> Other than general advice and tips, I do have a few specific questions:<br /> 1. Are there any classic portrait/fashion portfolios online that are regarded as great portrait examples?<br /> 2. Are there any tools/apps/services online that are made for photographers to help find good spots in your neighborhood for taking photos? Something like geocaching is what I had in mind. I've heard of Stuck On Earth, but it's only available for the iPad.<br /> 3. Does the golden hour guideline apply for portraits too? If I'm not able to make it during sunrise or sunset time, can I still get away with doing this at other times of the day?<br /> 4. What are the guidelines about lighting the face with regards to shadows, etc. Are shadows generally good or bad?<br /> 5. What are the guidelines about where to "cut" the body. I've heard that you should not cut at the joints. Does that mean you can cut mid-thigh, mid arm, and mid-belly?<br /> Thanks!</p>

<p> </p>

<p>1. Fashion is product. It doesn't sound like fashion is appropriate. There are plenty of portrait galleries online with lots of good work, but you need to think about what you want the portraits to show. One of my portrait galleries is <a href="http://spirer.com/npg2/">here</a>, I tend to prefer minimal backgrounds.<br>

2. It may be a little late to do this, but I always take notice of interesting locations when I walk around and go back to them with people to shoot. You can try Google Maps street view, what you want is the right kind of background.<br>

3. You can shoot at any time as long as you can find a way to get the light right. I prefer to shoot at night, but I also shoot during mid-day. I either use the harsh light to make a harsh photo, or I modify the light with flash, reflector, walls, etc. You can always go in the shade and either reflect in light or use flash.<br>

4. Depends on what you're looking for. Shadows add drama but can also be problematic. <br>

5. It sounds like you will have plenty of time to shoot, so why not try everything?</p>

<p>I'm no portrait photographer, but when I've tried it it always works best when I've kept it as lighthearted and as much fun as possible, don't get tied up with too many concerns about lighting, posing, locations etc just go out and enjoy yourselves, keep talking to your wife and above all, listen to what she says or suggests. I think an important skill in portrait photography is the ability to listen.</p>

<p>A little overwhelming with the questions my friend. My advice in short is to just do it and experience it for yourself instead of asking for every step of the way. When i was starting out over 18 years ago we did not have online forums. I had to read everything i could get my hands on and just went out and did it. Take notes of what you do. You are fortunate that you have a digital camera and you can see right away if it works or not.<br>

You seem to be on the right track and have passion and that is good. Google is your best friend here, just put in the key words of what you want and you will see examples. Since you are not using lighting there is no technical things to tell you. All you have to do is take a properly exposed picture using the cameras meter. The rest is your creativity which again we cant tell you how to do it. Photography is imagery and you must look at pictures and see what you like and then replicate it and i am talking about the posing. Fashion magizines are the best source. Yes shadows are your friend. There is no right or wrong. It either looks good or it doesn't. So again just go out and do it and see what happens. Then do it again. Good luck. be sure to post some pictures.</p>

• 1 month later...

<p>I found 85mm to be about the longest lens you will need, though something in the 300mm offers some interesting options.</p>

<p>What I have always found most frustrating is incorporating wider angles into the mix. Anybody can make an 85mm portrait look good with minmimal experience. It takes an artists eye to some extent to match a 28mm, the subject, and the surrounding environment.... etc.</p>

<p>I would suggest books on Arnold Newman. Looking at his work last night, literally all images were wide angle and every image told a story of that individual. He includes the surroundings of the subject that speak exactly to the nature of the subject. It could be a politician, artist... whatever<br /> As far as lighting... start with simple shaded area and add a touch of flash. It can be elaborate or simple lighting, dramatic or simple surroundings, but it is generally the subject that makes or breaks the image.</p>

<p>Always shoot in manual mode... make it fun.</p>

<p>Yesterday, my wife was too bust to accomodate my hobby, so I took off on adventure and did nothing but self portraits using the timer.</p>

<p>In and of itself, it was immediatly challanging to pose and photograph yourself... now try that! I'm glad I did it and it gave me alot to think about because you slow waaayyy down and compose, meter, and look at things more closely......</p>

<p>There are only so many ways you can pose individuals or couples. Look at a few setups and practice them and build from there. Study wedding family group shots and portraiture. There is an art to posing and arranging.</p>