M8 and 135 Tele-Elmar

federico_prieto

<p>Recently I bought a 135 Tele-Elmar in Keh. The lens arrived in outstanding condition and in minutes I went to my Leica local expert to test it in the collimator. The infinite was 100% OK. When I made the first photos with M8 all of the pics -in different apertures and distances- were out of focus... Then I rechecked the lens in the collimator and the lens confirmed that it has not infinite problem. I went to Google and I found some people with similar problems between Tele-Elmar and M8 and M9...I read about some diferentes solutions and I selected the more easy for me: to rotate the removable head a complete turn (360º loose)...I rotated many timen until I found a complete turn was the way (in my case)</p>

<p>The pic was taked after that.... OK....it has some postproducction.....</p>

<p>Now I need to learn how to fix the head in this position (a 360º turn)....sorry for my complicated english... the rose was at 1.7 meters from the lens and this is a crop of the picture...may be a 25%... Tripod ISO 160 and f8 or 5,6 and 4 seconds</p>

<p>....and yes.... for near 430$ the Tele-Elmar is the bargain of the century...</p><div>00apjd-496940584.jpg.3939bd4d3807a3cde542f6cd6254796c.jpg</div>

<p>I take it this is the older version. I have the newer version and have not had this problem. I think, Federico, that while your solution is a good one it is not really stable. A good repair person can fix your lens so that is works properly with your M8.</p>

<p>Some Tele-Elmars--I believe the early ones--were made with the barrel a little too short. Shims have been used to correct this. I don't know about buying a sheet of brass, because then you have to cut a washer out of it. I think a tech like Sherry Krauter or Don Goldberg will already have the necessary part. John Van Stelten in Colorado is another resource.</p>

<p>OK I knew there are a lot of differences thicks in sheet brass... so I will take a meassure -with a vernier- of the long of the lens, and another after the rotation. In that way I will know what is the difference for to buy the sheet brass with a +/- correct thick....<br>

Any idea where to put the washer ring?<br>

thanks</p>

<p>Federico</p>