FYI - "Easy" ACR update

<p>I recently tried to update Adobe Camera Raw for CS5 in order to open Nikon D800 files. To my dismay I found that Adobe's ACR "installer" was no such thing, but needed an additional update manager or somesuch nonsense installed, which required another download and more faffing about.</p>

<p>I figured the basic ACR update must be embedded somewhere in the download and set about finding it - it wasn't obvious, but here's how to circumvent going through Adobe's long-winded install process.</p>

<ol>

<li>Download the ACR update "installer" from Adobe's website and unzip it (Win7 will do this automatically).</li>

<li>Ignore any of the XML files and any other folders except the folder called "Payloads".</li>

<li>Open the Payloads folder and then open the correct subfolder for the version of PS you have - 32 or 64 bit.</li>

<li>Inside that folder you'll see a Zip file called 'Assets1_1.zip' or similar.</li>

<li>Unzip it and extract the single large file with no extension that's inside. The file in my case was simply called "1002"</li>

<li>Rename the file to 'Camera Raw.8bi'</li>

<li>Copy that file to the directory where ACR lives. This is usually on the C or system drive in: Program files>Common Files>Adobe>Plug-Ins>CS5>File Formats</li>

</ol>

<p>It's best if you've previously renamed the existing ACR plugin to 'Camera Raw.old' or something similar, just in case things go wrong.</p>

<p>That's it! Your version of ACR should now be updated when you next open CS5. I imagine that the same procedure will work for CS6 as well, but I haven't tried it.<br /> BTW, the version 6.7 update download isn't easy to find, but it's <a href="http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/thankyou.jsp?ftpID=5373&fileID=4999">HERE</a>.<br /> Good luck, and I hope this saves somebody a bit of time and messing about.</p>

<p>No, he did not suggest that. CR6.7 is for CS5 and supports the newer NEF files of the D800/E.<br /><br />CR7.x is for CS6, and behaves similarly for the cameras it supports. Although I like its features better in operation; but CR7 would most likely need CS6 or Lightroom 4.x to function.<br /><br />RJ doesn't like Adobe's installer mechanism, and I can understand that because it can be a rather invasive product.</p>

<p><strong>"No, he did not suggest that."</strong></p>

<p>You're right, sorry, I should have read the post a bit more thorough. No wonder Patrick is confused lol</p>

<p>I've never had an Adobe install issue. I get notices that it's available and hit update. One just came out today for something in the suite</p>