Wedding Photo of the Week--10/22/12

picturesque

<p>Post one of your best, recent wedding images for some pertinent discussion and critique, or even just accolades!<br>

<br />Make sure it is 700 pixels or less in width and/or length - AND - make sure to enter a caption in the caption box on that page where you've uploaded. Some technical details about the shot would be helpful.<br>

<br />This is not a contest - but simply a discussion of art and technique, with illustrations. Positive as well as constructive suggestions are what will occur. HOWEVER - IF you wish to post your image but DO NOT WANT to be considered for critique - please say so in your caption. Images that show as a link will be deleted and you'll be asked to re-post.<br>

<br />Newcomers and Pros are both welcome to post in this thread. You can start discussing immediately. ;-)</p>

<p>Here's one . Taken not that long ago, methinks, and one of my favourites...</p>

<p>I was taking a shot of the guys on the roof of a colonial-era mansion, when I noticed the bride looking on gleefully. We had a nice breeze handy so I quickly recomposed and took the shot with her wind-blown veil in the frame...</p><div>00ax9e-500591584.jpg.3ea359122150ee0f5e391f0a5a542172.jpg</div>

<p>The most remarkable thing about the attached "Uncle Bob" shot is where all the light came from in that big hall, considering that I was only shooting with my little Canon G12 at ISO 200, and an on-camera 430EX.</p>

<p>I had absolutely no photo responsibilities whatsoever at this wedding. In fact, I wasn't even going to bring a camera, but at the last minute, I decided to bring my little G12 and on-camera flash. When we arrived, I saw that the official photographer had set up 4 monoblocks around the hall, all pointed up at the ceiling. So far, so good.</p>

<p>Then I noticed that they were going off every second or two, even when he wasn't shooting. This was because they were being triggered optically by the flashes from the guests' point and shoot cameras. I confirmed this by checking if I could trigger them with my flash. I could. Their recycle time was a second or two.</p>

<p>The official photographer either didn't notice this or didn't care, so figuring that he was going to lose lots of shots because they were always recharging, I immediately went over to him and let him know what was happening. In spite of trying to explain the problem to him in several different ways, he was completely unconcerned about this and tried to tell me that because I was only shooting at low frames per second, it wouldn't bother him. The fact that everyone with a P&S was triggering his strobes, didn't make any difference. Unfortunately, I just couldn't get through to him that he was likely going to lose some shots and likely run into big frame-to-frame variation in exposure. In addition, many of the shots taken by guests were completely blown out by his lights.</p>

<p>We parted with me double-checking that he didn't want to do anything about this and didn't mind me triggering his lights. I thanked him, set my camera to manual and started taking pix. The attached "Uncle Bob" shot shows that he lit the hall quite nicely for me and anyone else that realized what was going on. I wonder if I can hope that other wedding photographers will be so kind as to bring and set up lights for me to use. ;-)</p>

<p>Tom M</p><div>00axLd-500681584.jpg.52e81481738170267f67fd23391a18e9.jpg</div>

<p>At this hotel reception I was looking for a different spot and found this bar down in the basement that doesn't get used anymore (you could see the outline of the bar they removed from the carpet). I was lucky enough to find the light switch and the bulbs were not all burned out :-)</p>

<p>This was shot using an off camera strobe (battery) that was CTO gelled snooted and on a narrow honeycomb to focus the light.</p><div>00axSR-500747884.jpg.92ae4146bac3211b6f619a07de49bc60.jpg</div>

<p>Ever the "documentary" photographer, I grabbed this candid as the Bride and her flower girls were getting ready for their more formal shot ... it made the album and the formal one did not.</p>

<p>This was shot in brutal light @ 2:30 PM when the sun was lower and camera left behind the subject ... plus there was a reflecting pool in direct specular sun. I had pre-planed for this and used a leaf-shutter camera @ 1/750th sync to tame the background and retain the pool ... while lighting the subject from the front to balance it out.</p>

<p>Here's the album page:</p>

<p> </p><div>00axbz-500839884.jpg.b484a104189ac365c5ad206bb61b9e25.jpg</div>

<p>Another from the same wedding. A wide angle shot of the B&G getting ready to leave for the reception in a 1960 convertible ... a legendary "Pink Cadillac" ... an even rarer "Eldorado" no less!</p>

<p>I changed the license plate to be their wedding date ... I often sneak in the couple's date into some album image one way or another : -)</p>

<p>It made the album as a full 12" X 18" spread:</p><div>00axc2-500841584.jpg.2dab3d858cb4a7c5da8f396e2d6ac394.jpg</div>