Lighting suggestions for newborn photography

ann_hennessy

<p>"I suggest trying to make some sort of fairly rational, evidence-based assessment...". To whom were you suggesting this, please? Were you addressing a person other than me? The Lord Keeper of All Knowledge, perhaps?<br>

Your apology is flawed, but I accept it. I shall not return to this thread. I do not wish to say the same things over and over again.</p>

<p><em>Perhaps you folks should take a breath and give it a rest? I wonder if the OP is actually reading this thread anymore? Hopefully she is.</em></p>

<p><strong>Ann</strong> ... you, like many newborn photographers prefer available light, but as you say some locations or times of day are not ideal. Speed-lights can and are used, however are best when used off-camera to avoid the flat head-on effect of "at-camera light". Like available light, the directionality makes all the difference in making added light look more natural. This entails a bit more complex gear than you may be willing to deal with, and ideally would include 2 speed-lights and/or radio triggers to fire them.</p>

<p>I do some newborns and prefer to not use flash even though I have all the tools necessary. Not for fear of anything, but instead I find it a bit disruptive ... sometimes soliciting a less than serene reaction from the infant or further agitating the hovering, goo-gooing parents who want a certain expression on their little-one's angelic face : -)</p>

<p>In general, I tend to favor reflectors if there is some light source to reflect, silks/scrims if the source is too harsh, and would also suggest looking into continuous lighting solutions. The Omni Light that was suggested being one of them.</p>

<p>Personally, I'd look carefully at the new crop of LED lighting solutions, which unlike HOT lights run cool and are daylight balanced @ 6,500K which Tungsten lights are not (I'm not a fan of using hot lights around families, or in other people's homes). There have been a lot of advancements in LED lighting as of recent due to the growing interest in video capture and inclusion of video in almost every new digital camera. Plus, a battery can be added should you ever want to go mobile where there are no AC outlets available. </p>

<p>For example, a Balcor LED-500K 2 light kit with stands and accessories is about the same price as a Canon 580EX speed-light.</p>

<p>Bonus is that if you decide in future to also offer video using one of the more current Canons, you are already there with lighting.</p>

<p> </p>