Rollei Beta 5 Flash need help!!

david_cuttler

I just aquired a used rollei Beta 5 flash without instructions. There

are a number of controls and LEDs that I do not know how to use.

What is the button labeled "P" for?

Purpose of the red & green lights next to the power switch

The + & - buttons

What is the guide number?

If anyone has a manual, I sure would be thrilled to get a photocopy.

Please Email me, or post here.

Thanks to all,

David Cuttler

• 2 years later...
  • 7 months later...

I was in the same place some time back, having just bought one of these, and just had to

use my magical skills to figure it out. (I can also set any VCR clock in the known universe

without instructions.)

Here are the controls you're looking at, and how to use them.

From left to right - ASA, f/, FEET*, +, -.

* Theoretically, there may be a Metric version.

Press any of these buttons to power on the exposure computer on the back, and hold it to

cycle through the available values.

ASA - film speed, in 1/3 stops. 25-800.

f/ - Aperture. 1.4-16.

Feet (may be M, meters?) - distance. See note on interchangeable lenses.

+ / - - Bracketing. Allows you to set a 1 f/stop (I think) compensation either way. Press

while the LED display is on; a red LED at the top or bottom of the display window will light,

indicating which is in use. With the LED display on (press one of the other buttons to wake

it up), press both to clear.

Auto / Manual switch: Selects full power (manual) or auto exposure with the parameters

set on the computer. When in manual mode, set the film speed and estimated distance,

and read off the proper f-stop. The distance will alternate between two values to give an

acceptable range. Unlike on the earlier Beta 4, turning the main power switch off and firing

the flashgun will cause the flash to fire at 100% power.

Buttons on the bottom: T (Test). Press only after ensuring you're not staring into the lens.

L (Lock). Press and hold to rotate the hot shoe in either direction for bounce flash.

Green/red LEDs: Red = charged; green = sufficient light (on after an exposure in auto

mode if the computer saw enough light returned from the subject to indicate successful

exposure, and turned the flash off before it ran out of power).

The flash lens is interchangeable. Press the buttons on either side of the hinge, and the

lens assembly comes off. There are grooves in either side of the lens assembly near the

front for mounting filters.

If you have a set of accessories for the Beta 5, consider yourself lucky. If you don't... don't

expect to find any. (Ah well...)

Mine has the wide-angle (marked W) lens assembly on it. There was probably also a

narrow lens assembly available as well. Two small sense switches on the right side detect

which lens assembly (if any!) is mounted, and adjust the exposure computer values

accordingly. You can use the Beta 5 with no lens assembly on it at all, though the quality

of light you get may not be the greatest. The exposure computer will still maintain the

correct values.

Oh, and don't forget to check the settings after changing batteries. It seems to store them

if the capacitor is charged first, otherwise, it drops to some odd defaults. NiMH

rechargeable batteries work great in this flash.

Though it may take a little getting used to, the Beta 5's a great flash, and works great for

almost all indoor scenes. Aim it at a wall or ceiling to soften the light, and have fun!