Telephoto lens for 5DIII

jen_luis

<p>I'm looking to buy a telephoto lens for my 5DIII. I'm new to Canon, just switched from Nikon. I've only been using prime lens lately. I'm looking to purchase my first telephoto lens.<br>

I live in Los Angeles and the Space Shuttle Endeavor will be arriving in September and I would like to take photos mid air. I've been looking at Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM II.</p>

<p>Which lens would you recommended.</p>

What lens would you have wanted/needed with your Nikon? (fx or dx?)

Translate that length to Canon.

Note: if you think 70-200 is what's needed then you might want to consider the F4 IS version if you don't need the wide

aperture. It's lighter and weighs a lot less.

However, if you're in need of a really long lens you might find that 200 mm is too short. A 70-300 or 100-400 might better

suit your needs.

That said, the 70-200 2.8 IS II is perfect for what it is. If you need that range and speed, go for it.

<p>The 70-200 is a great lens but perhaps a bit short for your requirements.<br>

Consider the 100-400 which is very popular at air shows (similar application) and for wildlife and birding. Use at F6.3 and you will be surprised at the results. IQ is better than the 70-200 with TC.</p>

<blockquote>

<p><em>I live in Los Angeles and <strong>the Space Shuttle Endeavor </strong>will be arriving in September and I would like to <strong>take photos mid air.</strong> Which lens would you recommended. [for a 5DMkIII].</em></p>

</blockquote>

<p>Firstly be polite enough to answer this:<br>

<strong><em>"What lens would you have wanted/needed with your Nikon? (fx or dx?)</em></strong><br>

<strong><em>Translate that length to Canon."</em></strong></p>

<p>***</p>

<p>My opinion:<br>

EF 400F/2.8L IS USM or one of the other two, current 400mm L Series Prime Lenses.<br>

Or as a zoom lens: the EF 100 to 400L</p>

<p>***</p>

<p>Also, an answer would be much appreciated <a href="../canon-eos-digital-camera-forum/00aen3">here on this thread</a> - </p>

<p>Specifically - my post Jul 30, 2012; 07:23 p.m. - an extract appears below, here: </p>

<p><em>“I think the behaviour of the OP is more commonplace than the general occurrence of threads spinning out of control AND <strong>perhaps the 'post a vague question and disappear attitude' is the single most common reason for threads spinning out of control? As such practice can only cause frustration by active, competent and knowledgeable contributors."</strong></em></p>

<p>WW</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Well, let's hope this one does not spin out of control.</p>

<p>The 70-200/2.8 IS II comes at a huge price premium, and 200 is not long enough for what you want. You could buy a used Canon EF 300mm f4 L (non-IS), used Canon EF 70-200/2.8 L IS I, and used EF 1.4x for not much more. If that pushes the budget too much, then one of the three other used 70-200 L lenses would be much cheaper.</p>

<p>I currently use a Nikon 80-200/2.8 D ED, Canon EF 300/4 L, and Canon EF 1.4x on my 5D II. When I want the best image quality I use my Nikon 400/2.8 ED AIS.<br>

</p>

<p>Not knowing your shooting conditions (distance, weather, etc.) leads to speculation. I have taken many shots (pictures) of the Space Shuttle during the landing at KSC using only my 70-200 F/2.8 IS USM (series 1). (A lens I rarely use because my wife and I do mostly wildlife). In my case, the flyover was close so I used 70mm which filled the frame and during the landing I used the full range (70-200mm). The flyover is (if close enough) allows ample time to get the shots you want to get if your in the "right" place. However, the landing even with the slow 747 aircraft (compared to just the Shuttle landing) happens faster than you would like, so be prepared for fast action, pre-plan your shots - your position is almost everything. As with others, I doubt your lens will be long enough - you can get close enough. If possible, you may want to make a trial run by going to the proposed site with your lens to learn where you have to locate to get the best shots and consider other factors such as aircraft direction, crowds/barriers, weather, sun position, optional gear, mobility, distractions (other people). A good learning experience no matter how good/bad your shots turn out.</p>

<p>I just purchased my best lens to date for my Canon 5D Mark II. I have several L-series primes including the Canon 85 1.2L, Canon 17-40 F4L, Canon 70-200 F2.8L I. However, I found the 200MM too short on full frame and wanted something with stabalization. So for $449 with $100 rebate I purchased the Tamron 70-300 VR and guys I have to say this lenses is friggin awesome. I nev er realized how much IS helps a shot it makes the lens so much more flexiable. The handheld sharpness is also incredible. It is as sharp handheld as my 70-200L when on a tripod. Yes I could have purchased Canon 70-300 or 70-200 F2.8 II. But I just don't see reason to spen all that money when for $349 I am getting simular if not better results in any case that is irrelavent because the lens makes me happy and does an excellent job. <br>

Based on my experience with this lens I will hands down buy the Tamron 24-70 F2.8 VR ASAP. I will have both lens for the price of 1 new Canon L version II lens.</p>

<p>I fully appreciate everyone's response, they have been helpful. After reading every response I went out to a camera store to try out the 70-200mm f/2.8. I loved it. The pictures were sharp and the lens was fast. I'm fully committed into buying this lens. But after much thought and re-reading the responses I don't think the 200mm will be enough for photographing the shuttle from the distance I've calculated I will be standing at when it arrives. I decided I'm going to either rent the 300mm f/2.8L IS II USM or 400mm f/4 DO IS USM from borrowlenses.com and buy the 70-200mm to add to my collection. <br>

<br />Thanks for your responses.</p>