Canon Powershot S100 - Focal start ?

Lauvau

<p>Hi,<br /> I think buying a Powershot S100. But one element is very important for me. Always the compact camera when you turn 'on' starts with the shortest focal length (24mm or 28mm usually), focal with which I do not photograph. According to a review, the S100 offers the possibility to open the camera directly to a 35mm or 50mm lens. Here is the explanation derived from this <a href="http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/PS100/PS100A.HTM">test</a>:</p>

<blockquote>

<p>And here's an interesting twist: If you've set the zoom via the zoom toggle surrounding the shutter button, the camera will power on to the 24mm setting. Goal if you turn the front dial to set one of the preset values - say 35mm - then power down, the camera will return to setting When you power That the camera back up. The camera remembers the presets, and onscreen displays the value for your reference. So if you want the camera to start up at a "safer" than 24mm setting, set it via the front ring before turning off the Canon S100 (S95 Behaves the same the).</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Have you ever been able to use this function? is it effective? Thank you for your experiences.<br /> Best,<br /> L</p>

<p>I have an S90 which also has the zoom preset ring around the lens, which enables you to select 28, 35, 50, 85 and 105mm equivalent settings.<br>

If you use this ring to set the zoom then switch the camera off, it will resume to that setting when you turn on again.<br>

I find this a very useful feature and I usually use this ring for selecting zoom rather than the zoom lever on top.</p>

<p>My S100 is set to use the control ring (around the lens) as a step zoom. When I turn the camera on, the focal length is whatever I last set using the control ring. As Geoff Portas notes, the control ring is more useful for setting focal length than the zoom lever on the shutter release (which is actually a random step zoom control).</p>

<p>Thank you for your experience Ted. In other way, are you satisfied with the S100? Have you ever realized some prints of your images, as 15X20inchs size, for example ? Have you noticed a significant default noticable before buying?</p>

<p>I only got the S100 a few months ago, replacing an S90. I've made 11x14 prints from the S90, but have made only small prints from the S100 so far. Pixel-peeping in Photoshop suggests the S100 lens is at least as sharp as the S90's. The extra zoom range at both ends is very helpful.</p>