What lens to take....???

veeee

<p> I'm taking a month long trip to India (I'm originally from India and have been there a few times back, last time was 10 years ago!!)</p>

<p> So now I'm going to India with the wife and 2 kids whom have never been. We're going to be staying a few weeks with my uncle in Gujarat so we'll take in the day to day life, village for a few days and then in the city.<br>

After which we have 5 nights in Jaipur and then off to Delhi for 2 nights and 1 Agra for a day trip to the the Taj.<br>

Now being a wedding photographer I go an arsenal of lenses and want to take all of them with the 2 Nikon bodies...but then at the same time don't want to over burden my self and see my trip through the viewfinder constantly. <br>

Here's what I have and the reasoning to taking it ...<br>

<strong>Bodies</strong><br>

2 Bodies--incase 1 goes south I don't want to lose the opportunity of capturing my childhood India<br>

D300<br>

D7000-- Love the video on this baby...<br>

<strong>Lenses</strong><br>

70-200, 2.8 VR: Love the Bokeh, and the ability to shoot discreetly.<br>

17-55, 2.8: Walk around lens<br>

60 mm 2.8 Macro: Macro!!<br>

50 mm 1.4: Low light<br>

11-16mm Tokina, 2.8: The wide shots!<br>

Now you see why I want to take the whole arsenal...I don't want be somewhere and think regret not having the gear....so what's your take guys???</p>

<p> </p>

<blockquote>

<p>I don't want be somewhere and think regret not having the gear....</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I have that frequently... more a sign that I have too much gear, and worry too much about it.<br /> <br /> Realistically... with the gear you list: the 70-200VR (discrete? - it's way too big for that :-), I'd bring it. The 17-55 f/2.8 too. Both primes...no. Would you really need them? Are you going to do real macro work that requires 1:1 - if not, the 17-55 focusses quite close too. For the 50mm, two stops over the 17-55 while the D7000 is bringing really good high ISO results. I'd think about it twice. And then probably leave it home, unless I know I really want the supershallow DoF.<br /> The wide angle... it depends. Personally, wide angles are when I am really working on photos. When walking around with family, I do not grab a wide angle often. So, me, I'd leave it home, but that's based on my own shooting style. So, that leaves me with: 17-55 and 70-200 only. And frankly, you're probably going to do ~95% of the shots with these two, even if you bring all gear. My actual choice would be with DX: one body (*), 16-85VR, 35 f/1.8 and 70-300VR. Does everything more than good enough, and makes my back a bit happier too.</p>

<p>(*) I can understand the reasoning to bring two, but one is going to stay in the bag, unused. I'd rather buy something like a Canon Ixus as backup. In case they steal your bag, at least at home you still have a DSLR...</p>

<p>Veej, only you can assess how much equipment you are willing and able to take with you, but what you describe makes me sick to my stomach. I come from the rangefinder thinking, but I'd say take a wide like a 24 even if slow and and a portrait lens even if just a 90 f4 and then take a 35 f2. Then you are covered. Good luck fitting that into your SLR mix.</p>

<p>90% of the time when I am on vacation, I regret having brought too much gear as opposed to not enough. I've simplified my vacation bag to two D40's, an 18-105 vr and an 18-200 vr. </p>

<p>That's it - period. I'm on vacation - I get great shots - many of which have sold as stock of the places we visit. </p>

<p>Dave</p>

<p>I prefer to travel light, particularly so if the trip involves family. From the gear you have, as per your question, I'd take the 11-16 and 17-55. That may not work for you and your style of photographing. You have some great advantages regarding what to take on this trip: You are familiar with what you will be photographing. It's your culture and language, too.</p>

<p>Sounds like a wonderful trip. Have a great time.</p>

I am currently doing a two month travel through India. I have one Fx body and a 24-70 f2.8, I don't need anything else.

Simple, comparatively light, always ready and it frees you to take the photos you can, not the imaginary images in your

head that you need to change lenses for.

It might be my lack of imagination but I can't imagine the need for a 70-200 on a Dx body, unless you are going to wildlife

reserves, street life is way too close to need that and the atmospheric conditions limit long range landscape opportunities.

The Old Delhi markets are the only place I would have used wider than 24 on Fx, and I have been to all the places you

list. A day trip to Agra from Dehli is not the way to see the Taj Mahal, spend the night before there and go at dawn, the

light is magical at that time of day. If you are there at dusk then the Hindu temple just to the North of the East gate is the

only place you can get to the river for atmospheric sunset shots. If you are still an Indian national take proof, you will save

a lot of money on entry fees, foreigner fees are typically ten to twenty times Indian rates ( at the Taj even more, 20Rs vs

750Rs) and this adds up.

Tripods are considered a security risk and actively banned from pretty much anywhere you would want to use one, armed

guards are everywhere and enforce this vigorously.

In your situation I would take one body and the 17-55, if you really need "backup" take the second body and the 11-16

and enjoy showing your family your homeland, either lens will give you infinite unforgettable photo opportunities.

<p>My experience is the more lenses you take, the more lenses you will leave in your luggage never to be taken out except when you return home. However two bodies is a good idea. You can substitute another lens if one is broken or lost and adjust your position to compensate. There is no substitute for a body except another body.</p>

<p>First I would leave both prime lenses behind. They are too inflexible and will never be used in all likelihood.</p>

<p>I would take the 17-55mm as it is a good walk around lens as you have found out.</p>

<p>The 70-200mm is a good lens when used in the 70-100mm range for close up portraits of individuals if you want some good family portraits to take home. You are not pushing the camera into people's faces as you would with the 17-55mm.</p>

<p>The only use I have ever found for a wide angle lens such as the 11-16mm is for large groups inside a small room, such as the entire family around the dinner table. I would take it for that reason but it would be needed only if you are talking about 6 or more people.</p>

<p>Danny Low</p>

<p>I'm in India right now, my 7th trip in 6 years. I carry a 70-200 and a 24-70 (on a full-frame sensor). That covers everything for me. My third lens is a 105 macro, but that's because I have a particular use for it in my shooting. I think 2 cameras and 3 lenses is just the right kit. The high-iso capabilities of your cameras will get you through the low-light situations, I think, so I would leave the primes at home.</p>