Film Cameras that record exposure info

bobgoldstein

<p>I recall, but cannot identify, that there were cameras from the 1980'd or '90's that kept a record (in the camera) of the shutter speed and aperture for each frame shot, which could be consulted later to see what worked and why, etc.<br>

Can someone tell me what models did this?</p>

<p>When I was taking photo classes 10 - 12 years ago at the local community college I used a Nikon F80s, tuns out it was a very rare F80 model. It imprinted data between the frames and was a great learning tool. Ordered it from B&H. You could imprint the date and time or turn it off and imprint shutter speed and aperture. Unfortunately I sold it to another student when I was done with school and have never seen another one.</p>

<p>The "ultimate" tool for this is Minolta's Maxxum 9 with DM-9 Back. It not only records the data and can imprint it on the film, it stores it on a SmartMedia card in an easy-to open text file format. It stores a bunch of rolls of data.</p>

<p>It's also the finest 35mm film SLR ever made.</p>

<p>There was a back for the Nikon F80S (like the N80 in USA) -- NOT the quartz-date back-- that would print exposure information on the film between the exposures.<br>

Here is part of the directions from the N80s manual</p><div>00alGa-493009684.jpg.61c1a920b94c7056cc8b355d3e24e8e5.jpg</div>

<p>Minolta:<br>

Dynax 7000i, 8000i, 7xi, 9xi, 700si: all can use a Data card or the improved Data2 card. Stores up to 2 rolls if memory doesn't fail.<br>

Dynax 800si had that capability built in.<br>

Dynax 7: the same as above, but could use an accessory (Data Saver DS-100) to download the data into a card.<br>

Dynax 9 was mentioned above.<br>

Nikon:<br>

F4 and F5 have a data back that can imprint some info in-between the frames.<br>

F90, F90X, F100 and F5 can access the Photo Secretary software and download to a PC or MAC the exposure info. There is also the HARtalk cable and associated software that does the same. The software is still available free, but not the cable!</p>

<p>The DS-100 accessory for the Dynax 7 recorded the data onto a smartmedia card. The files can be read on to PCs (with a suitable card reader) and there is software that can be run that takes the data in text files on the PC and writes the exposure information into the EXIF section of scanned negatives. (It would have been nice if USB connections had been used, but I suspect this was too early for that.)</p>

<p>I have posted it here before, but here's a picture of my Dynax 7 with the DS-100 attached (click through for more info and links).</p>

<p><a title="DS-100 docked to a Dynax 7 by FlickrDelusions, on Flickr" href=" DS-100 docked to a Dynax 7 src="http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5059/5421770662_72ffb94fd5.jpg" alt="DS-100 docked to a Dynax 7" width="500" height="374" /></a></p>

<p>I have a Canon EOS-1v with the now rare data cable and software. The camera records approxmately 99 rolls' worth of data before the memory is full, and it's downloaded via the special cable to a database which came on a CD with the cable. The data can also then be exported from the Canon databse to an Excel spreadsheet if you wish, which I do as a data backup. As far as I'm aware the most recent OS that the software can be used with is Windows XP.</p>

<p>There's a host of data that can be recorded...</p>

<p>It stores this info for each roll of film loaded:<br />Film ID number<br />Date loaded<br />Time loaded<br />Number of frames<br />ISO</p>

<p>Some of the data recorded for each frame is customizable by the user. Here's what I chose to record:<br />Frame Number<br />Date<br />Time<br />Focal length of the lens used (even if it's a zoom it will tell you what it was set to)<br />Shutter speed<br />Aperture<br />The lens' maximum aperture<br />The camera's shooting mode (eg. Aperture Priority)<br />Metering mode (eg. Evaluative)<br />Auto-focus Mode<br />ISO (when set manually)<br />Exposure compensation factor<br />Flash exposure compensation<br />Flash Mode<br />Multiple exposure on/off<br />Film advance Mode<br />Bulb exposure time</p>

<p>I love having the info at my fingertips when working out why a certain shot was good or bad.</p>

• 1 month later...

<p>As a side note, I use my <a href="http://wolfeyephoto.com/ExifToolGUI/publish.htm">EXIFtoolGUI program</a> to add EXIF info to the scans of each roll of film I shoot. I was doing so with some shots on my Minolta Maxxum 7, but I forgot if I shot them on a Saturday or Sunday, but the built-in data saving feature of the camera helped me out. It also revealed what lens I was shooting with that I saw pretty heavy vignetting on ( a Minolta 28mm AF lens at f5.6 ) so I can beware of it in the future.</p>

<p>There are many reasons folks consider the Maxxum 7 to be the finest 35mm camera ever made, and this is one of them.</p>