Fanny Packs, how useful in practice?

GerrySiegel

I am interested in toting a small amount of gear,( camera with zoom, one spare macro lens and a few accesories such as minitripod) on short hikes. Shoulder bag not suitable; rugged backpack may be more than I need. Has anyone had field experience with the current product lineup from Lowepro and Tamrac in photo fanny packs? Any recommendations?

Strongly recommend the LowePro Orion AW.

<p>

It combines a waist pack with a small back pack, which makes the waist pack easier to handle.

<p>

The waist pack easily holds a 35 mm body and 3-4 lenses and accessories.

<p>

The day pack holds a good amount of personal gear -- sweaters, books, lunch.

<p>

And it is relatively inexpensive and well-made.

<p>

A real deal!

LowePro Orion AW is a good choice. That is what I use most of the time. I also bought LowePro Lens case #5(I think) that fits my Canon 70-200 F/2.8 with a hood on. I attached it on the belt permanently, and it works very well. If you need a relatively small bag you can go for the regular Orion but it is pretty small. When I use this I only put 3 lenses and a flash, as it is too small to fit my EOS 5(I put my camera on my shoulder).

I've personaly never used a Tamrac one but I think they are not as well paded as the LowePro's. I know the Domke fanny pack is really thin, and I won't put my equipment in there.

As Mr. Greenspun suggest, take your equipments to a store and test them out on-site if you can.

I know it's irrelevant but the term "Fanny Pack" always makes me snigger. Any of you Yanks know what a "fanny" is in UK terms? :-)

<P>

More on the point I have one of the Lowepro's (forget which one - an Orion something I think) and it's pretty good for casual use - big enough for one large body, a couple of smallish lenses and a flash. There is a new Lowepro that is a belt pack with a zip on rucksack section above - it's quite cheap and looks a really good idea. All the Lowepro's I've seen (I normally use a Mini-Trekker) have been well built - you coukld do worse.

I just sold my LowePro Orion AW after using on 3 trips.

<p>

I hated it. I would recommend against this bag for anyone who wants to carry more than a couple of pounds. The Orion is actually two packs in one: a "Fanny Pack" and a backpack. These two components snap together to form a complete system.

<p>

However, it is generally a compromise. The fanny pack is way too big to be considered truly a fanny pack. I can tell you this from firsthand experience lugging that damned thing around for 17 miles per day. If you are going to carry it for any distance, you need to attach the backpack unit and redistribute the load to your shoulders. The reason for this is the discomfort you get from the way the fannypack hangs on your body. This probably wouldn't happen if all you had was an Elan II and a 50mm lens. But with an Elan II, 28-70 L and a 70-200L, this pack couldn't handle it. Don't get me wrong, the equipment fit properly in the pack. But it was too much weight hanging on my waist, and I needed to move the load to my shoulders.

<p>

The other problem with the fanny pack unit is how do you get to the equipment quickly? I thought that with a fanny pack, I could load and unload stuff without removing the pack. This turned out not to work. In the end, whenever I wanted to change lenses, I would take the pack off completely.

<p>

I finally just decided to sell the sucker for 20 bucks and buy a photo trekker, which has been so strongly recommended on these pages. It has turned out to be a great bag. The Orion AW, like all compromises on photo gear, turned out to be a disappointment and more expensive alternative in the end.

I have a waistpack(I'm calling it that for Steve's benefit) that I got at EMS. It's probably one of the best camera bags I have taking it's intended purpose into account. It will hold one SLR with lens attached plus two small lenses or one larger lens like a 105 Micro or maybe a 180/2.8 plus various filters and other accesories. I also sewed a big piece of velcro on the side which, along with the lash straps that it originally had, is the mounting point for a Photoflex lens case which will hold a 200/4 Micro or even an 80-200/2.8(this does get a little unbalanced though).

<p>

I use it with the waistebelt but I also use the shoulder strap at the same time and this helps a lot. As for getting getting to my equipment, I can generally just twist the bag to my front side, though this might not work for everybody.

In English "English" we call "fanny packs" "bum-bags" which I suppose Americans wont like. Maybe there's a nice neutral -- French, maybe?

<p>

Anyway, I agree with James Tarquin; the Lowe Pro Orion is too big to sit very easily on either your "bum" or "fanny". It sticks out far too far. However, worn round the side, over your hip, with waist strap, and shoulder strap, it works really well, although more often than not has to be placed on the ground to remove stuff, (which defeats its purpose I think.) The only down side with this is the backache walking squint then gives you...

I haven't seen much written about the Tamrac bags yet. I have two and really like both of them. The Tamrac 709 (the larger of the two)will hold a Canon EOS body with 100-300mm attached, a second body w/ 28-105, flash, ext tubes and bunches of misc. stuff. While I use it as a "fanny pack", it comes with a regular strap for shoulder carrying. I constantly swing it around to the front side to use as a lense/ filter changing platform.

<p>

It's well built and versatile also. The velcro sections can be customized to fit just about anything. The only downside, it that when it is full, it gets somewhat heavy on longer hikes - but you can use the shoulder strap in addition to the hip-belt to relieve some of the weight from the hips.

Mahalo/thanks for the useful comments. Here in Mid Pac there's no B and H style emporium to test out carrying gear/kit to make a purchase decision and road experience is really the best anyway. Sense of things from responses: the fanny pack idea was a " bum" one perhaps,even though I use a small one daily to carry my wallet and personel effects. I am now leading toward the idea of maybe Lowe-pro Mini trekker shoulder pack or the Tamrac compact photo daypack. I must agree with gent who said that compromise bags,( my Tamrac model 706, which has waist straps is example) are not really a solution for waist use- too much off balance drag. I have enough ballast down there now as it is:) Gerry PS: Now I have to find out the UK meaning of fanny, must be a real bummer.

I have some version of the Orion AW bag that does not have the capability of attaching a backpack to the top of it. I believe it's the same as the bottom part of the two parter Orion. Anyway, I agree it's extremely uncomfortable if loaded with a body and 4 small (or 3 medium size) lenses and used without the neck strap. However, I find it very useful when carrying the pack behind me and slinging the neck strap across a shoulder (sort of like carrying your camera on your side but with the strap over your head). If I need access, this mode of carrying makes it very easy to slide the bag from my backside to my side or front. Very useful. Don't buy a waistpack this size and think you'll carry it long without the support provided by the neck strap. Good luck with it.

<p>

Gonzalo

I've been using the LowePro Orion AW for about a year. I use it for short hikes usually four or five hours at a time. It has room for a F4s, 24, 35, 50, 105, and 75-300. Throw in a couple of extra rolls of film, filters & diopters, extra batteries, cable release, mini-tape recorder, sweat rag, lens cleaning stuff, and teleconverter. It's about as small a bag as I'd use. I use the waist belt and shoulder strap together for added support. I highly recommend this bag for short day trips.

I use a Lowepro "Camera Pocket" for day hiking and also extended travel, where I'll be exploring a city all day. It holds 1 body and 2 lenses and a few accessories. It won't hold a tripod but I don't know of any small bag that will.

<p>

This bag is small (8.5Wx4Dx4H in.) and padded. It costs about $20.00 at B&H.

<p>

It works for me because I carry the camera around my neck all day and 2 lenses in the waist pack.

<p>

A nice little pack. You pull your shirt over it and you can't even see it.

I have a LowePro Orion AW which holds a lot of equipment but it tends to sag when fully loaded when not used with the backpack. The waist belt doesn't seem to give it the support a complete camera system needs. I wish Lowe had used a waist belt like the Mountainsmith lumbar packs which have two supporting webbing straps between the pack and the belt (one high and one load to better distribute the weight).

<p>

But I haven't seen anyone mention the Tenba "Bear" P243 waistpack. It looks BIG and appears capable of handling pro sized lenses. Anyone have an opinion about it?

• 1 month later...

Don't overlook the Domke Outpack Wasitpack. Very reasonable and very versatile. Normally I use the Tamrac Rolling Phot Backpack to transport my gear (i.e., on the plane and in the car) but the Domke Outpack stores most of the odds and ends that I take with me. Also have a water bottle holder (essential for field work).

<p>

Another plus--for us "big guys" the Domke belt fits.

If you want to save some money and still get the job done, go to

Lowes or Home Depot and get the handymans tool carrier that they have for $14.00. It is all soft leather, has a strong forked buckle and will hold 2 large lenses (up to 400mm), a spare camera, 6+ rolls of film, several filters and some odds and ends. I bought one on a hunch and it works and balances well and can be worn as a front waist pack or fanny pack. You might be careful if the wind is blowing a lot of sand and dust around by creating some little flaps over the pockets but so far

I have not found the need to do that .

You only need to silicone over about 6 rivets and your ready to raise a few eyebrows and it doubles for those jobs around the house for which it was made. IT WORKS for me!

• 4 weeks later...

Geez, maybe its me, but I haven't even considered just using the waist strap on my Orian AW when the backpack is not attached (which is most of the time). Heck, I just lug it around with my buds and their Domke's just like they do, by merely using the shoulder strap. After carrying it all day, I do wish the strap had a little more padding but that can be added (or you can make your own strap, and get the connectors to clip to the bag at any good outdoors/camping/backpacking store).

<p>

My back doesn't have a lot of equipment, an Elan IIe, EOS 10s, 28-105mm, 100-300mm, and a sandwhich size ziplock bag full of film (15-20 rolls), plus 8 extra batteries. Everything fits great!

<p>

I'd definitly recommend this bag because of its padding though. I sling it around all the time now (not negligently though!) after going on a ski trip and taking it with me. I thought that after the first day I'd take out my equipment and it would be in peices....wrong! nothing even moved! (I'm pretty advanced skier, so when I fall, its nasty and I usually flip over several times, and nothing has ever been damaged or even jostled). Since then I carry it with me on airplanes (barely fits under the seat with the backpack attached, so I take that off and throw it under the seat and throw the pack up top in the overhead), and on all vacations, as well as when I am out on day-long outings etc.

<p>

I can't think of anything to complain about the Orion AW, so I'd recommend it highly. And to those who have a problem with it when used as a fanny-pack, try using the shoulder strap simultaneously or by just using the shoulderstrap and forgoing the waist strap all together!

The Lowepro Sideline Shooter is big enough to hold an Nikon FG and a 300/f4--just in case I see a coyote in the woods of Vermont. The smaller Lowepro Photorunner will carry the FE2, four small lenses, film, and tiny accessories. It can be used as either a shoulder bag or a waist pack, unlike the sideline shooter, which is just a waist pack. I can easily carry the 3001 tripod with my left hand while sort-of-balanced on the shoulder bag. I find the waist straps way too big, but its not a problem for most people.

This may turn out to be a longish quest because of all the possibilities. I got to look at a LowePro Photo Runner today( suggested by Zack and Mike) our one pro shop just expanded their inventory. I like it because it is just about the right size and cleverly designed. But, and a big but, the top flap which is designed like the workout bags with a handle and two zippers that pull the top flap sideways catches on the fabric of its own liner on the store sample-not kidding. This would drive me batty. I found the basic Orion model interesting, nice friendly padding against the spine, and very well made and spacious. A possibility. I am getting some literature from Tundra on their supposedly innovative line of waist packs with neoprene waist belts. I will report back.

I too had recently got myself the Photorunner.<br>

I've been looking around for a fanny pack and couldn't come to a good compromise. All the Orion line seemed to be too big to be carried as a waist pack. <BR>

Finally I decided on the Photorunner. What I like about it is that it can be used as a waist pack or you can simply sling it on your shoulder. The design is beautiful too. And if I need to carry my 70-200L lens, I will use the photorunner as a waist pack and carry the big lens on a small day pack.

Now that I've used a Rowell Photoflex "chest pouch" for a couple of months I feel competent to comment. As far as design goes, the Rowell bag is "the right thing." The camera sits in a velcro enclosure that lets you pull the camera strap out, and the "fanny pack" comes with a belt buckle that lets you buckle it around the waist and tie the camera to your body snugly. With an elastic camera strap it's very comfortable for running, less comfortable for cycling but still very usable for cycle-touring, though not racing.

<p>

The genius in this little bag is the velcro enclosure. When you want to take a picture, just flip up the velcro, pull the camera out, and you're ready to shoot. No fumbling with zippers, though they're there as a backup to the velcro if you want to use it. The bag will fit an F4 with standard zoom.

<p>

As far as build quality is concerned, it certainly isn't as well built as a LowePro, but given the way I treat my stuff (I slid down some rocks while scrambling with my last "fanny pack"), I don't expect anything to last forever.