Traveling to NYC for Labor Day Weekend

amel_d

<p>Hello everyone! I am hoping that you can help me decide which lens to take to NYC. I plan on taking D90, 35mm 1.8, tokina 11-16mm and have two more lenses to choose from. <br>

I can find room to either take only one, either 18-105mm VR or 70-300mm VR.<br>

Which one would serve me better touring NYC. <br>

Thank you!</p>

<p>If it were me, I would definitely take the 18-105mm VR as that one lens can be very versatile in NYC or many other big cities. Are you sure you can't take the 70-300 as well?</p>

<p>But don't worry, if you find yourself missing any lenses, there are a few places you can visit in Manhattan:</p>

<ul>

<li>Adorama</li>

<li>B&H, near Pennsylvania Station, Madison Square Garden</li>

<li>J&R, close to the World Trade Center site</li>

</ul>

<p>Just don't try to visit Adorama or B&H on Friday afternoons and Saturdays.</p>

<p>I just returned from a trip to NYC. My 18-200mm stayed on the camera nearly the whole time (and shot mostly on the short end), so think the 18-105mm would be the most versatile. (I had my 70-300mm with me too, and did use it some, but wouldn't have really missed it.)</p>

<p>Shun -<br>

Appreciate the response! I am really trying not to take too much with me. My camera bag will only fit 3 plus body. I think I will end up taking 18-105 with me. Do you see need for an external flash? I have SB-600 (haven't used it much). Tripod or not Tripod? Really trying to travel light. <br>

Jeannean -<br>

Thanks for sharing. What camera were you using? Will I have much need for 11-16mm compared to 18-105mm? </p>

<p>11-16 makes buildings look crooked. I think I'd stay with the 18-105. That seems the most versatile. I shoot the equivalent zoom with a P&S all the time as I live in NYC. Have fun in NYC. It's a great town.</p>

<p>Not all are from NYC but you can see a lot.<br>

http://www.flickr.com/photos/alanklein2000/sets/72157625796644064/<br>

http://www.flickr.com/photos/alanklein2000/sets/72157627614472967/<br>

http://www.flickr.com/photos/alanklein2000/sets/72157627487899061/</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Amel,</p>

<p>I was in NYC for an afternoon last year around this time. I will put in a vote for the 11-16. I do agree with Alan that an UWA can be tricky to use - with certain perspectives, you will get a lot of keystoning. However, to get a sense of the tall buildings, I think ultra wide angle is a lot of fun. Here is a shot from my trip. I pulled it off FB so I don't have the exif handy but I am fairly sure this was at 12mm:</p>

Shun-

Took your advice and took the 70-300 with me on ths trip and am I glad that I did. Because of it I got some really good

close ups of Statue of Liberty and few others. I would definitely recommend this lens for NYC.

Chip-

I absolutely loved using 11-16 on this trip. I would say I used it 75% of time there. I like your shot, that is similar to what I

tried to capture.

Will post pictures soon.

Thank you all!